5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

stupid longtubes

Old 05-13-2008, 08:36 AM
83GT5.0
1st Gear Member

Default stupid longtubes

So i have some flowtech longtubes on my Mustang. I had to cut the flange on both sides in order for it to fit. The pipes slide together before it goes into the collector. I know they are leaking and my exhaust gaskets work for about a week and then blow. Help anyone?
Old 05-13-2008, 09:49 AM
nseoi
4th Gear Member

Default RE: stupid longtubes

you dont cut premade exhaust parts, good luck making them leakproof now. i put in my bbk longtubes without cutting anything, just jacking the motor up and shaking them in like hell.

if they are just leaking from the gasket then try sandwiching 2 gaskets together with gasket maket or try some expensive aluminum gaskets
Old 05-15-2008, 02:01 PM
83GT5.0
1st Gear Member

The flowtech longtubes are to be cut at the flanges (part where they go to the head) so that u can put part of it in and then the other part you cut off from their. They got a slip joint thing that makes one part of the header tube fit into another. I didn't cut that part. Just the flange like i was supposed to. It leaks out of the slip joint a little and i have problems with the gaskets blowing. So get expensive gaskets? What about the slip joints? I was thinking about wrapping the headers in exhaust wrap. Will that work?
Old 05-15-2008, 04:15 PM
pony831
1st Gear Member

my l/t are the same the left goes in fine but the right hits down by the damn tranny!!!!![:@]
Old 05-15-2008, 06:50 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

DO NOT use header wrap of anytype, it will cause the headers to completly rust out in a yeaqr or so........
You learned as I did ,years ago, Flow-Tech = junk.......
Old 05-16-2008, 12:23 AM
rebel_yell
2nd Gear Member

yea if you have the money go invest in soem nice BBK long tubes or somethign else flowtech headers are trash, but if you could maybe get soem pics up cuz im still sort of confused on what your talking about ....lol
Old 05-16-2008, 12:30 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: tinman

DO NOT use header wrap of anytype, it will cause the headers to completly rust out in a yeaqr or so........
You learned as I did ,years ago, Flow-Tech = junk.......
^^^^^^^It will not!!!!!! I wrapped my LT'S /flowtechs at the joint's only and they are 3 years old and no rust..so long as you don't wrap the whole thing your fine
Old 05-16-2008, 12:33 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: nseoi

you dont cut premade exhaust parts, good luck making them leakproof now. i put in my bbk longtubes without cutting anything, just jacking the motor up and shaking them in like hell.

if they are just leaking from the gasket then try sandwiching 2 gaskets together with gasket maket or try some expensive aluminum gaskets
wrong!!!!^^^^^^^^^^some mis-info there^^^^^^^^^^ the flowtechs are made that way to do that...hmmm how would I know??? got 'em on my 85..I don't reccommend them but hind sight is 20/20[:@]
Old 05-16-2008, 10:19 AM
nseoi
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mjr46

ORIGINAL: nseoi

wrong!!!!^^^^^^^^^^some mis-info there^^^^^^^^^^ the flowtechs are made that way to do that...hmmm how would I know??? got 'em on my 85..I don't reccommend them but hind sight is 20/20[:@]
sorry for misinform but then y the hell would you pay to get headers that you have to cut? bbk's work just fine and u dont have to waste your time cutting something, doesnt make any sense to me. maybe there is some benefit that i am not understanding.
Old 05-17-2008, 12:07 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

sorry MJR, but you do NOT have to cut them. I installed mine without chopping them up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: stupid longtubes