5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

more power from a rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 03:11 PM
joe_5.0
1st Gear Member

Default more power from a rebuild

ive got an oil leak on my motor that causes smoking and it pisses me off.i was told that it could be the lower intake leaking to the back of my motor so im gonna replace the gasket and if that dont fix it im going to look into building the motor into a carburated 300-350 horsepower and 350-400 torque.i have a doug herbert performance catalog that has a "budget rebuild kit" for 500 bucks that includes: speed pro flat top pistons,clevite bearings, melling oil pump, double roller timing set, all the gaskets, herbert perfomance hydraulic cam, hydralic lifters. i can order it with thirty over pistons but i might go for stock sized pistons.id keep the stock crank and put some gt 40p heads from an explorer and some shorty headers. then id go with an edelbrock performer manifold and probably a 650 750 cfm carb.then id put a msd ignition on it.id probly put some 1.6 rockers on the heads also. would this be much of an improvment over my 89 lxs stock 5.0?and could i use my stock fuel pump and lines?im probably gonna instal a fuel cell so can i stick my stock pump in that? i want to re-use most of the pullies and stuff of my engine except the ac.what other things can i remove from my motor.what else should i do? will i be making enough power to need a new transmision and rear end? also how hard would installing some 3.73 gears in my 8.8 be?
Old 05-13-2008, 03:17 PM
Pony 5.0
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: more power from a rebuild

Hard to read exactly what you are asking. Take a breath, then make a list of what you would need help with or like to know.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:20 PM
grumpyphillips
2nd Gear Member

An 8.8 is more than capable of withstanding 300-350 horses, so you shouldn't need a new one unless your current one is broken. If you have never installed gears before, I would suggest taking it to a shop and having it done. There are some special tools needed that are a bit pricey.
Remember with the GT40p heads you are also going to have to get different headers.
As far as I know you will need a fuel pump that is designed to work with a carb and not fuel injection. If I remember correctly, card fuel pumps usually have a much lower psi. Someone will correct me if I am wrong on that.
Along with removing your AC, you can remove the smog pump and power steering. You are going to need to run a short belt if you start removing accessories.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:25 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

you need to itemize you questions, thats really hard to read all that.

stock pump is enough for what you would have and would drop into your fuel cell

with the gt 40p heads, eddy intake and a custom cam you'd be lookin at 270-290rwhp ~ish shot of nawz you're at 350-400ish
Old 05-13-2008, 09:30 PM
joe_5.0
1st Gear Member

okay sorry for the jumbled list.im thinkin of rebuilding my engine andswitchin to a carburated setup so that i can rip the emissions stuff out without worrying about screwing with the ecu.what i need to know is:
1.can my stock aod transhandle 300-350 horsepower?also, how much torque can it handle?
2.can i use my stock fuel pump and lines from a fuel injected 5.0with a carburater? i know that carbs use lower psi fuel pumps but couldnt i solve that with a return line?also i want to know if the stock pump can work with a fuel cell?
3.the rebuild kit im lookin at would be probably be using a set of stock diameter flat top pistons and a hydraulic cam probably with a stock grind.i could also getthe pistons in a.30 over diameter.it's called a budget rebuild kit in my doug herbert catalogue.would this kit up my power at all
4.would it be worth it to get a crankshaft that was lighter than my stock crank but had all the same diameters?
5.i want to get some gt-40p cylinder headswith some 1.6 or 1.7 rockers,bbk shorty headers and an edelbrock performer rpm 4 barrel intake.then use a 650 750 carb.would this be any good as far as performance?
6.im elimanating the computer and fuel injection so that i can rip off every peice of smog/emmisions crap from my engine and i dont have any clue how to get rid of the emissionsstuff without messin with the computer.

im gonna hook some msd igniton on it too.will that engine be any better than my stock 89 5.0 i also wanna know if there would be any problems from hollowing out the catlytic converters in my exhaust?can any of you estimate the power id produce with a build like this?
Old 05-13-2008, 09:50 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

My view is to not skimp on pistons and always get good forged slugs for a performance rebuild. Some nice rods with floating pins as well. The stock crank is fine and pretty light as stock units go, but for under $250 you can get a brand new cast steel unit that weighs less, but it's not really necessary. And with a setup like that you wouldn't need any more than about 550cfm worth of carb. Always run a hydraulic roller, there's no sense in limiting yourself with flat tappets, especially since the more modern oils and flat tappet cams do not get along much of the time.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:53 PM
PJC Racing
3rd Gear Member

Your not going to make that power with those parts. You get what you pay for.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:57 PM
5spd GT
3rd Gear Member

Do not expect a rebuild to give you a lot of power.

I gained zilch, going from a 163k bottomend, to a new 306.

Good Luck with what you can afford.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:03 PM
joe_5.0
1st Gear Member

ok so basicly im askinwhat am i gonna make with a stock bottom end .30 over 302 and some gt40p heads with 1.6 rockers and a carburater after i remove all the smog equipment and ac and all the crap the motor doesnt need.what cams should i look at for a carburater setup.?
Old 05-14-2008, 01:17 AM
PJC Racing
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: joe_5.0

ok so basicly im askinwhat am i gonna make with a stock bottom end .30 over 302 and some gt40p heads with 1.6 rockers and a carburater after i remove all the smog equipment and ac and all the crap the motor doesnt need.what cams should i look at for a carburater setup.?
Cam?

Quick Reply: more power from a rebuild