5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

I think my Clutch Cable broke

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 04:58 PM
haromaster87
2nd Gear Member

Default I think my Clutch Cable broke

Well, I was pulling into the local grocerie store and I went to put the clutch in and pull the car into neutral for the turn. Pop, clutch goes limp. I just coast into a spot, turn her off and call AAA. So i'm home now, thinkin about what I need. All I know is I pushed the pedal down, heard a pop, and felt all the pressure of the clutch release. The clutch was doin fine up until then. Now the pedal just hangs there, free of any tension.Does this sound like the clutch cable broke? Also, I was lookin for replacements on here...

http://cpwstore.carpartswholesale.co...7006+1616+5762

I was lookin at either the sachs or the beck/arnley. They're both OEM spec. These ok? And how hard is it to replace the cable? On a scale of 1-10?
Old 05-14-2008, 05:18 PM
Gronk72

Default RE: I think my Clutch Cable broke

Sounds like a broken clutch cable, I broke one about 6 years back and replacement was about a 5.5 -6 on the 10 point scale. The fork that the cable connects to is on the left side of the tranny near the front(clutch), should be able to tell by looking at it. If there any slack its pooched.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:56 PM
mrdeep2001
2nd Gear Member

With car off, push the clutch in, if the cable is broken, the clutch should go in VERY easily. Next you could get under the car and check the cable visually.

Although I don't recommend it, here is another method. Only sharing with you in case you get stuck somewhere and can't get help.

If you have the space, another way to tell is to start the car while its in gear. Car will start when you push the clutch in, but if its in gear, it'll take off! Maybe just crank it for a second or two, it'll still move.

WARNING: CAR WILL MOVE SO MAKE SURE NOTHING IS NEAR YOU!!!!!!

I had to drive home from work once with a broken clutch cable, not fun but doable.

If the cable is broken, I hear all aftermarket cables suck and OEM is the way to go. Please verify before going out and purchasing.

Good luck,

Deep
Old 05-14-2008, 05:57 PM
haromaster87
2nd Gear Member

Is this theclutchcable fork i'm lookinfor?...

If so there's nothin on it so I think it's safe to say I broke the old one, right? lol
Old 05-14-2008, 06:00 PM
mrdeep2001
2nd Gear Member

Haha yessir, the clutch cable is supposed to run through the fork. Since it isn't there, you should probably see it dangling around.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:03 PM
FuzzyDiceRule
5th Gear Member

check and see if you can find the end of the cable, could be it just came off
Old 05-14-2008, 06:07 PM
haromaster87
2nd Gear Member

Beautiful, sorta. lol Well, I didn't look for it, but I heard somethin fall out behind me when it happened so yeah, I think it's gone. As for your other methods, idk. I was able to pull the car outa gear and thats it. It wont get in any gear now. lol I'm assuming I cant start it either seeing as in the clutch can't open. lol But yeah, were would I go about getting an OEM clutch cable? Motorcraft brand i'm assuming.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:09 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mrdeep2001

With car off, push the clutch in, if the cable is broken, the clutch should go in VERY easily. Next you could get under the car and check the cable visually.

Although I don't recommend it, here is another method. Only sharing with you in case you get stuck somewhere and can't get help.

If you have the space, another way to tell is to start the car while its in gear. Car will start when you push the clutch in, but if its in gear, it'll take off! Maybe just crank it for a second or two, it'll still move.

I had to drive home from work once with a broken clutch cable, not fun but doable.

If the cable is broken, I hear all aftermarket cables suck and OEM is the way to go. Please verify before going out and purchasing.

Good luck,

Deep
not a good idea. thats bad on the starter.

OP: definetely a snapped clutch cable. happened just like that to me about 4 or 5 months ago.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:14 PM
mrdeep2001
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 945LSTANG

ORIGINAL: mrdeep2001

Good luck,

Deep

not a good idea. thats bad on the starter.

OP: definetely a snapped clutch cable. happened just like that to me about 4 or 5 months ago.
owned
Old 05-14-2008, 07:04 PM
haromaster87
2nd Gear Member

Haha, so yeah, I found the remainder of the cable, there's not much left. A good portion flew off. So were canI purchase a nice plain OEM clutch cable from?

Quick Reply: I think my Clutch Cable broke