5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

nitrous on a stock fox DD

Old 05-14-2008, 09:59 PM
88fox50
1st Gear Member

Default nitrous on a stock fox DD

while browsing thru the threads i found this - https://mustangforums.com/m_5054872/tm.htm

I have the same car, alot of them are saying gears tires suspension....thats good but a few are saying nitrous as well ... dont you have to do engine work like pistons and stuff in order to "safely" (and i use that word loosly) spray your car.. i mean he said its his DD, as is mine, and he wanted it to be reliable...wouldnt nitrous hurt its reliability after being sprayed a few times? ...

im asking cuz i have been contemplating the first things i should do to mine with about $3000 (other than a paint job) as well. thanks in advance for your feedback
Old 05-14-2008, 10:39 PM
bighungrymatt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: nitrous on a stock fox DD

nope spray 100 shot up on there and enjoy
Old 05-14-2008, 10:42 PM
86302gt
1st Gear Member

ok i will start by saying that nitrous will not hurt your motor the person abusing it will hurt the motor if any thing it will help it by clening out some carbon and what not its all in how you use it and how well you tune it talk to nitrous_bob he has had nitrous on 3 fox bodys and one was stock and he has had no prob
Old 05-14-2008, 10:45 PM
TonyT3hSleeper

If you have the 3k for whatever, why not go for some bolt ons, exhaust/intake if you wana splurge on a shorter fan belt you can do the smog pump bypass, that should free up some HP and give you a few more MPG's
Old 05-15-2008, 12:12 AM
5spd GT
3rd Gear Member

I would strongly suggest against nitrous on a true daily driver, factory set-up bottomend.

To much volatility, whether tuned great or not.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:34 AM
86302gt
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 5spd GT

I would strongly suggest against nitrous on a true daily driver, factory set-up bottomend.

To much volatility, whether tuned great or not.
why i would rather have a nitrous dd then a supercharged or turbo one . nitrous you can turn off and save on gas then whenyou whant to go fast you can hit it the other 2 you can not and r alwase tempted to hit the gas cuz the power is alwase which is what brings down your mpg with nitrous heck you can even take it out if you dont whant to be tempted just my and the stock bottom end will can take a 125 shot no prob just my .02
Old 05-15-2008, 09:16 PM
88fox50
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TonyT3hSleeper

If you have the 3k for whatever, why not go for some bolt ons, exhaust/intake if you wana splurge on a shorter fan belt you can do the smog pump bypass, that should free up some HP and give you a few more MPG's
well the car currently has shorty headers, no cats, h-pipe exhaust and flowmaster 40's, i have already bypassed the smog...and am waiting on the AC bracket to move the P/S up. has MSD blaster coil, MSD cap & rotor recently installed. it definatly alot better than when i bought it. as far as wehre te 3K is going...i intend to get a cam, intake, and heads, but i also need suspension and a paint job, so im just trying to prioritize .. . i wont be able to do the mods till the summer is over tho ... im a seasonal worker so i would have to do it on the down time. i will have a new 4 cyl DD by the end of summer so it will be all good.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:04 PM
Burke3531

In my younger years I used to work as pizza delivery driver, driving an 88lx vert with nitrous and some other mods. That car went through hell but held up fine. I'm still using the same, never rebuilt longblock in my 84 car. If you have an 87-92 car with the factory forged pistons the motor ought to hold up fine as long as everything is in good running order and you've upgraded the fuel pump.

The transmission is another story though. A T5 is rated to handle what, like 265 lb/ft of torque? Even on a little shot you're going to be pushing 400 lb/ft. Probably have the same problem with an AOD. You WILL break it.

Either get good at rebuilding trannies or spend some big money on something stout.

I chose to learn how to rebuild a T5.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:36 PM
5spd GT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 86302gt

why i would rather have a nitrous dd then a supercharged or turbo one . nitrous you can turn off and save on gas then whenyou whant to go fast you can hit it the other 2 you can not and r alwase tempted to hit the gas cuz the power is alwase which is what brings down your mpg with nitrous heck you can even take it out if you dont whant to be tempted just my and the stock bottom end will can take a 125 shot no prob just my .02
You and I think differently then.

To have a "safe tune", the car will typically run less than ideal for N/A.

If you cannot control your foot, then that is your fault, not mine.

The "shock" and volatility of nitrous is just to much.

What comes on factory (reliable) cars?

- Nitrous?
- Superchargers?
- Turbos?

The latter two.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:52 PM
86302gt
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 5spd GT

ORIGINAL: 86302gt

You and I think differently then.

To have a "safe tune", the car will typically run less than ideal for N/A.

If you cannot control your foot, then that is your fault, not mine.

The "shock" and volatility of nitrous is just to much.

What comes on factory (reliable) cars?

- Nitrous?
- Superchargers?
- Turbos?

The latter two.
you make a good point but the saleen focus had nitrous factory lol ya if i was him i would get some paint susp and h/i/c then worry about fi that would be the safest thing to do n/a is alwae going to be safer

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: nitrous on a stock fox DD