5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

302 Aluminum Heads Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 09:28 PM
mxrider426
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 302 Aluminum Heads Please Help

mxrider426, I'm not trying to bust your chops, nor am I an expert, but that E cam will suck if you are running it in a 331. The 331 requires some type of aftermarket heads, and a much better cam than the E cam. You could probably get by with some GT40s, if they professionally ported, but you need to look at a dual pattern cam, better yet a custom cam for your stroker. I learned the hard (see expensive) way.
Well im not a complete dumb *** about engines. I know a 331 would need better than an E cam. And did you read in another post that my uncle owns a cylinder head machine shop? Im just trying to get opinions from people on which would be best to go with on a budget. But anyways. . . Bottom line what should i do. Port the E7s, port some GT40s, buy the Patriots, or buy used Edelbrocks. I will throw a stock piston 302 together if i have to depending on the heads. I have plenty of them
Old 05-26-2008, 10:51 AM
FLcracker9
3rd Gear Member

For a budget build, since you already have the E-cam, I would pick up some gt40s, and have your Uncle port them, along with a 3 angle valve job and you'll have a pretty good iron head. If you can find a set of used aluminum heads that aren't trashed, that would be even better. Unless your flat tops have valve reliefs,you'll be limited to a 1.90 intake valve. Edelbrock Performers (part 60379)&AFR 165s will work, as willthe Twisted Wedge heads (they have 2.02 intake valves, but work with stock pistons). I haven't heard of anyone trying the Patriots (2.02 intakes) with stock pistons. I would think there would be PTV clearance issues.
Old 05-26-2008, 04:13 PM
Texas5.0
3rd Gear Member

I have the Patriots with stock pistons and have had no clearance issues.
Old 05-26-2008, 04:25 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Texas5.0

I love how everyone jumps on bandwagons around here.... I have patriot heads and have been very, very happy with them. The first sets of heads for the 5.0 were on the low quality side. I don't think this has anything to do with thecontinued quality of the heads. All new products go through a period of adjustment until bugs are worked out. Patriot spoke with me freely when I called andasked them about the posts I was reading concerning quality. I did a lot of research on these heads before I got them. One thing I noticed was almost every post I read about the "nasty" patriot heads started with "my friend..." " I heard..." "I read..." I looked for days before I found anything that was first-hand knowledge. I have no regrets with my purchase.
You are an example of real world experience and also part of the reason for my negative opinions on the patriots. IIRC you installed these heads and had to take them off and send them back for repair. Then there are the pics Ed Curtis posted on another website. I'm sure he did not buy several sets of patriots untill he found some that had problems. Untill a few people post that they have bought these heads and had no casting issue's or other problems than maybe we can say they've upped the quality of their product and have stopped sending **** out the door to customer's. Dont you still have the stock cam in your engine, that could explain why you have no clearance issue's. I've HEARD that most have problems with clearance when using OTS after market cams. As i understand to have a descent grind you must get a custom grind?
Old 05-26-2008, 05:28 PM
Texas5.0
3rd Gear Member

I'm not following you on the "You are an example of real world experience and also part of the reason for my negative opinions on the patriots". I did have an initial issue with the heads, they were shipped back to Patriot, repaired, shipped back, put on all at no expense to me. Why would that be a bad thing? I called Patriot and spoke with a real live person and they spoke openly with me about some initial quality issues. They did not make excuses and made it right. Great customer service in my book and I got a set of heads that significantly improved the performance of my car. So why would this reinforce anyones negative opinions?
Old 05-26-2008, 05:31 PM
imnotmy77stang
2nd Gear Member

what WAS wrong with the first set anyways? and for the record what cam are you running?
Old 05-26-2008, 05:35 PM
Texas5.0
3rd Gear Member

The first set... several of the valve seals backed out. Patriotreplaced all of thevalve seals along with the valve guides. I am running a stock cam - I ran out of money on the last repair so the cam got scratched off the list.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:35 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

some of the info of late keeps me from posting as much[&:]
Old 05-26-2008, 05:43 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

You say they were sent back to you and put on with no cost to you? So your saying that patriot payed for the labor or did you or your shop install them?
Old 05-26-2008, 06:01 PM
Texas5.0
3rd Gear Member

Patriot paid for labor, gaskets, fluids - everything. There was nothing else I could have asked them to do.

Quick Reply: 302 Aluminum Heads Please Help