5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Explorer head swap?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 03:23 PM
Tripwhite

Default Explorer head swap?

Basically I stumbled across a few explorers today and Im getting ready to rebuild my 5.0 mustang motor. So just wondering if the swap is worth it, does the computer have to be programmed for it, what cam is best the original on the explorer or after market, and is the lower intake manifold just a simple swap on and off?
Old 05-22-2008, 04:07 PM
VASSAGO
Banned

Default RE: Explorer head swap?

hey man i done exactly what your wanting to do, if you need help let me no,

basicly you need to make sure its from a exploror 97-02 i belive and you need to check the heads make sure they say GTP on the right front of the head and have 4 slots not 3 slots on the back of head

97-02 5.0 explorer should be righti have the gt-40p heads upper and lower on a car with a B303 cam and they work great
id say you should change the springs and rockers before install, check the vavles and clean them up the upper and lower are your basic GT-40 combo and will work the same as if yo spent the $400 for the GT-40 upper and lower set, its just looks a bit diffrent
you should have the heads and intakes sandblasted then powder coated like i did they will look great, also you can get your intakes ported before you install them and the increase is great. (this is what i did) and i did nothing but remove and replace its a direct fit if you have questions or need help feel free to ask. like i siad i did exactly what your doing, and i was VERY happy, if you dont mind how much you paying for theses parts ? ill tell you if your getting a good deal or not
Old 05-22-2008, 05:38 PM
Tripwhite

hey man thanks so there was no problem with the computer or timing? I forget what the man quoted me Im going again saturday. SO ill tell you what Im paying. From what I remember it was a good deal.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:51 PM
VASSAGO
Banned

well just to let you no, i got a complete running 5.0 gt-40p motor for $400 with 83k on it so dont get ripped off, you can go to the junk yard and find them cheap. and as far as timing are you gonna run n20? just adjust your timing like normal if not, 10-13* is good
also if your gonna run nitrous timing will be retarded a bit and you will wanna run a cold plug
Old 05-22-2008, 05:55 PM
Tripwhite

ok cool yea I was just going to take the heads not the whole motor but whole motor they want 350 I think so good deal, but my motor as of now has 128xxx original miles on it should I replace the piston rings and bearings if Im going to replace the heads considering the mileage.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:49 PM
VASSAGO
Banned

$350 is a awsome deal, when you pull your heads look at the cylinder walls, if you can see cross hairs in the walls your fine and can just leave the bottom end alone, if you see a ruff looking cyl wall pits divits grooves, then i would probly just go ahead and pull that motor out and rebuild it, make sure you get the matching upper and lower intakes with the heads man, also make sure they say GTP on the fron of the heads and have 4 lines on the back of the head not 3, if it dosent say GT-40P then dont get them, the gt-40 and the gt-40p are 2 diffrent set of heads, and you want eh gt-40p's p=performer
Old 05-22-2008, 06:58 PM
Tripwhite

excellent thanks again ill let you know when i go to do it if i need help with anything. my whole motor has to be pulled anyways Im putting it in a different 5.0. So I might rebuild it anyways. Not sure...
Old 05-22-2008, 07:20 PM
Slo5oh
Banned

Sorry to be stupid. Whats the advantage of the explorer heads? Higher comp? Better flow?
Old 05-22-2008, 07:54 PM
cobra_racing03
1st Gear Member

[align=left]
ORIGINAL: Slo5oh
[/align]
Sorry to be stupid. Whats the advantage of the explorer heads? Higher comp? Better flow?
The main advantge of the heads are that they flow better than the stock E7 heads and the GT40P heads have relocated spark plugs that allow for a better combustion. They have close to the same compression and in some cases IE 94-95 cobra 1.7 RR
Old 05-22-2008, 07:59 PM
Slo5oh
Banned

Do they flow better due to better port design, or larger valves, or what? Do they flow better all arround or only at higher lift?

Quick Reply: Explorer head swap?