5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

blower style

Old 05-23-2008, 02:00 PM
imnotmy77stang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: blower style

*cough* dyers *cough cough*
Old 05-23-2008, 02:09 PM
newpony
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: imnotmy77stang

*cough* dyers *cough cough*

i didnt see a fuel injected syestem
(looking for a direct bolt on )
Old 05-23-2008, 04:49 PM
imnotmy77stang
2nd Gear Member

i was talking about the person who said nobody makes a roots blower, then someone pointed out the wieand kit.... dyers > wieand

b&m used to make em too btw
Old 05-24-2008, 02:10 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

I'd stay away from weiand sc's for a street or street/strip car if you're aiming for efficiency.

As far as fuel economy if the roots s/c kit is setup right, very little fuel economy lost. You'll lose a bit more with the twin screw.
ORIGINAL: imnotmy77stang
i was talking about the person who said nobody makes a roots blower, then someone pointed out the wieand kit.... dyers > wieand

b&m used to make em too btw
I didn't say nobody makes one. I said i was pretty sure there wasn't a kit. I didn't know if there was a bolt on roots kit or not.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:36 AM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

KB is probaly your best bet, because of the twin screw design they are better than roots blowers yet they still sit on top of the enigne.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:23 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: OnyxCobra
KB is probaly your best bet, because of the twin screw design they are better than roots blowers yet they still sit on top of the enigne.
assuming your talking about better meaning efficiency, I think that depends on what roots supercharger you compare it to. To the 3 lobe 60 degree ones (which are the most common) yes they are more efficient, I wouldn't quite say that comparing it to the 4 lobe 160 degree ones.
I believe weiand is still using the straight rotor design which isn't as efficient, but they can pack in a higher volume of air using that & a top to bottom design with a big case. Good for strip cars where fuel economy doesn't matter & you have an engine built for needing LOTS of air with a low p/r, not so good for street cars. They could have made some case modifications though to boost efficiency it's been quite a while since i've looked into weiand's designs.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:20 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

I was saying in terms of actual design the twin screw is superior to roots, they use less engine power, run cooler, etc.
Old 05-24-2008, 10:42 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: OnyxCobra
I was saying in terms of actual design the twin screw is superior to roots, they use less engine power, run cooler, etc.
That's what i was referring to. I was saying your statement was true comparing the old 3 lobe design that had an efficiency in the 60's. Even the efficiency of the 5th gen eaton roots was only at 66%. Whereas the 4 lobe design has seen as high as 76%. To put that into comparison, the scroll type compressor used on turbos & centris are generally around 74% a/e.

& to top it all off, because the roots doesn't compress air inside the case, installing a bypass valve equalizes the pressure so the s/c will freewheel while the valve is open (like while cruising) so fuel economy doesn't take a hit.

The 4 lobe design hasn't been around for all that long so you probably won't find much comparison until it's available in kits. But you can look up on it by googling "eaton tvs". I believe magnuson is producing them, their 6th gen ones are based on the tvs design.

Here's one on a gm ls series engine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZEBwyTGs9s
Old 05-25-2008, 04:12 PM
newpony
2nd Gear Member

did you see the headers glowing this is a effecient car im trying to put to gether (((((( ill probly blow the motor if i dont catch on fire first (
going state to state)

and i want it for rode race

really im looking for the blower style sc because it looks alot easer to install and the systems on the newer styly cars looks reall reliable......im not really worried abut the install and how difficult its gona be .....i like the look of the slim blower style .......but the prochargers looks reliable so i may go with them..........

Old 05-25-2008, 04:26 PM
newpony
2nd Gear Member

can you adjust the boost on prochargers like on turbos(with boost controllers?)?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: blower style