5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Need some help w/a vibration

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 08:12 PM
nels88gt

Default Need some help w/a vibration

Ok here are the stats... its an 88gt ... the vibration doesnt happen when the car is in neutral... its a five speed, it only happens during certain rpms on acceleration or on deceleration when in gear in the same rpm range... I changed my u joints already ... and still cant find the problem .. =( this really sux .. is it a driveshaft or the rear end??? I dunno what to do .. I'm freakin out
Old 04-26-2005, 08:44 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Need some help w/a vibration

does your rear end still have the large metal dogbone weight bolted to it?? this is a vibration damper and if it's not there, this might be the source of the vibrations unless it is in a tire/wheel imbalance.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:01 PM
Djs94stang
3rd Gear Member

It is after a gear change or any other mod...or it just suddenly happened?
Old 04-26-2005, 09:44 PM
nels88gt

Well mine is an 88 I dont know which dogbone weight you are speaking of.. I dont see anything that looks like it.. just a drive shaft w/the yoke on one end and the u joint for the rear end on the other... are they all supposed to have this weight... b/c it vibrates the worst at 3k..... I just got the car... and it had it... I was dumb for thinking this would be simpler as I am new to mustangs... but I dont want to give up b/c I love the car... also when I turn left I hear a clicking noise from the right rear tire area... wheel bearing???
Old 04-26-2005, 11:30 PM
nels88gt

to the top
Old 04-27-2005, 02:24 AM
Dbeck002
I ♥ Acer

if your car vibrates when you are revving it from a stand still, it is your harmonic balancer. get a new one, summit sells them for 80 bucks. i got one and it made a big difference in smoothness.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:29 AM
creepshow
2nd Gear Member

He said not when he is in neutral. Hey man, I have a vibration too. Mine has a automatic but it is a slow rolling vibration that travels threw the car at sertain speeds. I feel it from back of car to front sort of. Could this be the same weight missing? Sound the same nels88gt?
Old 04-27-2005, 04:59 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

Check the tightness of the bolts going from the transmission itself into the bellhousing. There is 4 of them. I suspect those. If those are tight check the tailshaft bolts & the bellhousing to engine bolts, there are 6 of them. All of these can be accessed by jacking up the car & reaching behind the intake manifold. Hope this helps.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:16 AM
nels88gt

Yes it sounds the same.. I will check those bolts today.. can anybody tell me about this dogbone weight I should look for... I looked at my harmonic balancer and it doesnt seem to wobble but I have to do my front main anyways so I might as well throw a new one on for piece of mind eh?
Old 04-27-2005, 12:29 PM
creepshow
2nd Gear Member

Well I know mine is in the drivetrain somewhere. I will try putting it in neutral while it is doing it and see if it goes away. I am guessing we have the same problem. I would inspect the drive shaft and see if a weight is missing. Also checking out the rear end. I`lll let ya know what I find.

Quick Reply: Need some help w/a vibration