5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

aluminum heads, cooling/waterpump

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 12:14 PM
five0fm
3rd Gear Member

Default aluminum heads, cooling/waterpump

hey guys i just got my set of victor jr heads and i was talking to someone who did a lot of racing and building back in the day and he said aluminum heads are bad for street use b.c they heat up to quick nd warp and stuff. im wondering if you guys have this problem or if he is overexaggerating or what. i was looking into the water pumps that flow 50% more then stock, do those cause leaking probs at high rpms b.c of the volume of water they are moving? and what about the water wetter stuff. i originally bought it for my water to air intercooler but i was wondering if it would help the cooling process. thanks a lot
Old 05-27-2008, 12:49 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Default RE: aluminum heads, cooling/waterpump

Never heard anyone say that aluminum heads are bad for street use....

I know a few people who have used water wetter and they claim it works.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:04 PM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

think about this,most of fords cars from 2000's and newer have alum heads. they are fine until you overheat the motor, and thats when they warp, same goes for the alum blocks.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:19 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: five0fm

hey guys i just got my set of victor jr heads and i was talking to someone who did a lot of racing and building back in the day and he said aluminum heads are bad for street use b.c they heat up to quick nd warp and stuff. im wondering if you guys have this problem or if he is overexaggerating or what. i was looking into the water pumps that flow 50% more then stock, do those cause leaking probs at high rpms b.c of the volume of water they are moving? and what about the water wetter stuff. i originally bought it for my water to air intercooler but i was wondering if it would help the cooling process. thanks a lot
[sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif]prime example of someone who is clueless...anyway to the op..if anything aluminum is better at disapating heat to allow cooler operating temps which is why alot use aluminum radiators......mine aluminum heads have been on my car since 2001 and haven't ever warpped
Old 05-27-2008, 03:50 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

Prime example of an old school guy who refuse's to accept newer and bettertechnology.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:55 PM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

Of course they are more prone to warp if your engine overheats but many other vehicles beside Fords have factory aluminum heads
Old 05-27-2008, 06:48 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

WetterWater works.
I've been using for about 12 years now and in the part of Arizona I live in I'd know.
I use it in my work truck, my DD and my racer.
It works with Aluminum too.
When using Aluminum heads on anything, always have 50% coolant/water mix.........
Old 05-27-2008, 07:12 PM
REDS 5.0
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FASTBLACK

Prime example of an old school guy who refuse's to accept newer and bettertechnology.
My sentiments exactly! Love how "smart" some "mechanics" are.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:48 PM
RODRIGUEZ
3rd Gear Member

That was prob a myth back in his day...