5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

347 stroker kit help

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 08:54 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: 347 stroker kit help

what cheap heads are you refering too???
Old 06-04-2008, 09:26 PM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

I have a set of Pro Comp heads. 190cc runners. They looked surprisingly well considering the cost. I did find a few casting blems, or where they casted the head , it left a little and I do mean very small lines in the exhuast ports, took less than 5 minutes to smooth them out. I took them to one of my local machine shops, tore one head down. It looked good, I was shocked actually of how good the head does look. I have heard nothing but nightmare stories about them, but I couldn't help myself. Like I said, after I kill this one, it's prolly going to be 408w with some AFR 185 cnc'd solid roller time. It's gonna be "No More Mr. Nice Guy" after I kill the 347. I really can't complain at all about my heads, they looked great and for the money, I couldn't have gotten more bang for my buck anyway else that I could have gone. I have a friend who has a couple of BBC cars and he ordered a set, he went through 3 sets before he finally just asked for his money back on them. All 3 sets that he was sent were junk, I saw them with my own eyes. Just so happens that we ordered our heads about a week apart and mine were fine. Even though mine turned out ok, I still don't know if I'd recommend them to anyone.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:30 PM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

Also about the cheap heads, I dunno if it's true or not, but I heard/read somewhere about the Patriot 185 heads were Pro Comp castings that Patriot Performance picks up and does some minor bowl and port work to them and advertises them as thiers. Like I said, dunno if it's true or not, but who knows.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:33 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

so how well does your car run?? et??..combo??
Old 06-04-2008, 09:53 PM
5spd GT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BlessedHellride

I have a set of Pro Comp heads. 190cc runners. They looked surprisingly well considering the cost. I did find a few casting blems, or where they casted the head , it left a little and I do mean very small lines in the exhuast ports, took less than 5 minutes to smooth them out. I took them to one of my local machine shops, tore one head down. It looked good, I was shocked actually of how good the head does look. I have heard nothing but nightmare stories about them, but I couldn't help myself. Like I said, after I kill this one, it's prolly going to be 408w with some AFR 185 cnc'd solid roller time. It's gonna be "No More Mr. Nice Guy" after I kill the 347. I really can't complain at all about my heads, they looked great and for the money, I couldn't have gotten more bang for my buck anyway else that I could have gone. I have a friend who has a couple of BBC cars and he ordered a set, he went through 3 sets before he finally just asked for his money back on them. All 3 sets that he was sent were junk, I saw them with my own eyes. Just so happens that we ordered our heads about a week apart and mine were fine. Even though mine turned out ok, I still don't know if I'd recommend them to anyone.
You need to look into a much larger cylinder head than this.

Good Luck!
Old 06-05-2008, 10:55 AM
BlessedHellride
4th Gear Member

I'm expecting it to run fine. I still need to run cooler lines, fuel lines and hang the accesories on the front. I tried to hang them the other day, but I needed a crank pulley spacer, I ordered one, it came in, to thick, sent it back waiting on new one to arrive. I could start it and run it a couple of seconds here and there by filling the carb bowls with fuel. But I want to be able to drop it into reverse and back it out of the shop when I bust it off for the first time. That's why I haven't started it yet. I have run my combo by several big time racers around the house and told them what my expectations are for the car and they have all told me that it shouldn't be a problem to get where I wanna be. Which is around the 11.50 E.T.on engine only. That will give me ample room to talk trash around the house with the "bottle" for back up in case I bite off more than I can chew.

I didn't want to put a cage in the car, but I will if Istart getting slack at the track or if they won't let me run. We have a track that lets you get away with quite a bit more than they should. One of my good friends went over there a couple of weekends ago and ripped off a 6.54 @ 208. It is a 1/4 mile track, my boy said he had to get out of it about 1000-1100 ft mark because he was starting to shake the tires and break loose up on the big end. He runs some kinda crazy NHRA class, national points race, travels all over. Poor bastard told me it takes roughly $1000 to run his car for a 3 day weekend event.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:37 AM
Jrichber95GTS
2nd Gear Member

I got the pro comp 190cc in my 347 i think she runs great. the machine shop that built my motor actually compared them to some afr 185cc and said that the intake and exhaust ports on the pro comp actually looked the same if not a little better (maybe i just got a lucky pair) cause i have also heard of some pro comp heads just dropin valves and doing other bad stuff.Once i get my computer done i will throw in a update of the numbers and how she runs after that. Wont be for about a month though