5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

WON'T START WHEN HOT!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 06:16 AM
whitestang86
1st Gear Member

Default RE: WON'T START WHEN HOT!!!

i do have an msd coil, i didn't take a plug out and see what color the spark was, i'll have to check that. as far as the tps goes it's a brand new throttlebody from bbk, so i wouldn't think it would be bad right outta the box.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:11 PM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: WON’T START WHEN HOT!!!

ORIGINAL: 5.0 MPG&lt\\;br&gt\\;&lt\\;br&gt\\;TPS&lt\\;br&gt\\;
&lt\\;br&gt\\;&lt\\;br&gt\\;haha,&amp\\;nbsp\\; i find it funny to see posts like this, you can run a 5.0 without the tps hooked up why would it cause hot start issues?&lt\\;br&gt\\;&lt\\;br&gt\\;&lt\\;br&gt\\;n ow it could be anything from the tfi to the starter getting heat soaked, check how many amps the starter pulls when hot,&amp\\;nbsp\\; mine would sound fine while cranking but wouldnt start it, the starter was pulling 400 amps. a new mini high torque starter fixed my issue.&lt\\;br&gt\\;
Old 06-04-2008, 10:39 PM
whitestang86
1st Gear Member

thats some crazy ****, it actually pulled that many amps?? how in the hell did you even check that, a few of my friends still seem to think my starter is junk, it's just like you said, cranks fine doesn't sound bad at all, when hot that is.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:31 AM
VASSAGO
Banned

you say you have fuel, but did you check the pressure?? when a fuel pump is going bad it stops operating like it should when its hot, i had this problem you have, i changed to a bbk 190lph fuel pump and it solved the problem, (i was getting fuel) just not enough when pump was hot
Old 06-05-2008, 11:08 AM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

Since you just rebuilt engine you might want to check and make sure your timing is not advanced too much. Happened to me before. I had way too much initial timing and everytime i would stop and then try to crank it would turn over veeerrrryy sloooow. I got the timing light and put it where it should be and it cranked easily.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:17 PM
whitestang86
1st Gear Member

i do have a guage on the fuel rail and it is set for 38lbs, and i do get the same pressure when i'm cranking so i don't think that's it and i have my timing set to 14degrees. I did pop in my old computer while the car was hot and it started up, ran rough though but it started so i might have narrowed it down to a bad computer, hopefully!!! So i sent thecomputer back and i'm gettin my new one coming to me tomorrow so i'll see if that was the problem. By chance if you guys read this i have a EGR question, I have no polution contols on the car anymore and i was leavin the EGR off, can i use the electrical part off the valve and take the valve portion off and just use the electrical plug to fool the computer???
Old 06-13-2008, 07:39 AM
sushi214

I'm currently having the same problem as well. Runs great but once I shut it off after it warms up it wont start. Turns over rough at first then just cranks right over but never fires up.As it is turning over I have blue spark. A few people keep telling me its getting vapor locked and not the tfi because if it was the tfi it would be shutting down when hot while driving but that's not what's happening. It just won't fire back up after I shut it down. For a fan I have a 15" pushing through the radiator and that's it. They say I need to have somuch airgoing over the block as well. I'm going to try adding on another fan but any other ideas would be great.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:13 AM
ponyboy88
3rd Gear Member

timming, if its to advanced or retarted it will make it difficult to start, my freinds old muscle cars like that, starts hard when warm if he doesnt bump the timming,
Old 06-13-2008, 10:21 AM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

For you guys that are having timing related start issues. I have my timing set at 32* and the spout removed. While it runs perfectly, it was occasionally hard to start. The MSD digital 6 & 7 boxes have a start retard built into them. (They also sell a stand alone unit, but if you're going to buy an MSD anyway...Go with the Digital line) I set the box to retard the timing 20* under 800 RPM. It also won't retard the timing again until the RPM's drop under 500. So between 0-800 RPM's, the timing backs itself off to 12*. Which makes starting a snap.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:30 PM
sushi214

if it was the timing it would turn over hard though and it doesn't. it turns over but won't fire up

Quick Reply: WON'T START WHEN HOT!!!