5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Need help with misfire.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 07:15 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Default Need help with misfire.

Me and my dad were on our way to a cruise in and the car started missing. The first time the car jerked so bad we thought we hit something in the road. We thought it was a vac leak since he just turned on the cruise not too long before it started (I think he had it off when it first missed). When I got back home I pulled the vac line for the cruise and plugged the hole with my finger, still missed. I check under the car to make sure nothing leaking or messed up, nothing. I then checked the fuel pressure and it was about 30 (bouncing between 28-32 at idle). The car would buck so bad, similar to someone trying to drive a 5 spd for the first time when they let the clutch out. The only way we could get it to not do it (for the most part) was to keep the rpms low (below 2000) and baby the car home. I have not checked the codes yet (plan on doing that in the morning). Also there is a lot of gas in the oil (smell the gas on the dipstick). HTe oil hasnt been changed in a year since Ive ben at school and my dad is a pansy and cant change it. Also hte car burns oil and the number 5 and 6 plugs had a strong smell of oil on them. They are the only ones I checked since the engine was hot. It also seems like the car is way down on power.

Any way, does anyone know what might be the problem or give me some possible things to check?
Old 06-07-2008, 10:08 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: Need help with misfire.

check tune up parts...car, rotor, wires and all plugs
Old 06-07-2008, 10:09 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

also using the ecm's power balance mode function you can perform that test and see which cylinders are not contributing full power and from there narrow it down to a component
Old 06-07-2008, 10:35 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

What exactly is that power balance test? Ive never heard of it. The other guy we were with told me I should puta new cap on rotor on it and I said if I do that I was going to do wires also.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:51 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

read this:
http://sbftech.com/index.php?PHPSESS...p;topic=2471.0
Old 06-07-2008, 10:53 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

this sight is gay for not allowing s b f tech.com which is the stars blocked out..past in that where starts are and it'll take you to website or google cylinder power balance test
Old 06-08-2008, 02:09 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Okay I ran all three tests. Here was my results.

KOEO: 82, 15
KOER: 12, 21, 94, 44, 33
Cyl. Bal Test: 9

I checked my plugs and all of them with the exception of #7 had a white ground and center electrode. They smelled of oil but none were oil soaked. #4 had some oil in the threads though. A few also had some black particles around the face of the threads (part facing into cylinder).

I havent checked the wires yet but the cap is not cracked or carbon traced. Im not sure what to look for on the rotor or if there is anything else I should look for on the cap.

As for the wires what ohm readers should I look for? They are Ford Racing wires.

One more thing that I forgot to add in my original post. When the car missed the rpms dropped substantially. My dad said it was almost like the ignition was cut off.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:14 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Bump.

Still havent found anything wrong yet.

Old 06-09-2008, 03:52 PM
ponyboy88
3rd Gear Member

perhaps tfi starting to go, but they usually go all at once...same with coils
Old 06-09-2008, 07:03 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

Yeah thats what Ive read. It seems that most people when the tfi goes the car wont even start. One guy told me it might be the trigger in the dizzy or a bushing for it. I plan to pull it soon and give it a good cleaning. The trigger is covered in carbon dust.

Quick Reply: Need help with misfire.