5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Car running like dookie <<<Bad Injector?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 05:24 PM
tw3ak
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Car running like dookie

The battery is only a couple weeks old. I didnt havethe ignitionon too long. Just to check the tps voltage. Door was closed. I hit the soleniod a few times.. it seems fine now. I bumped up the fuel pressure to 42 and its still chugging. It bucks like a **** when im barely gassing it. Im about to run the scanner and pull the codes. Thanks PJC
Old 06-12-2008, 05:26 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: tw3ak

OK fuel pressure is fine. Its at about 38-39. Is that too low?

I jsut bumped it up to 41 and when i went to start my car the f(&amp;^#$@# starter kept cranking. I had to dissonnect the battery to make it stop. When I reconect the batter it starts cranking again. Bad starter relay?! Why would this happen when im messing with my fuel pressure? Just a cawinkidink? A bad starter relay wouldnt cause my car to run like crap would it?
Fuel pressure sounds right.

PJC Racing, I don't understand how low voltage would cause a solenoid to get stuck 'on'since a low voltage situation would not allow the solenoid to close the circuit and even if it did, the crank speed would bevery slow if not at all and all you would get is a 'click' or a metallic gurgle as the solenoid tried to keep itself in the 'on' position.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:36 PM
PJC Racing
3rd Gear Member

Low voltage in the solenoid causes excess arcing in the housing, this arcing causes the "piston" to weld its self to the housing. I have delt with this issue several times in the comercial truck repair business. When I first started out in the business I learned the hard way. I replaced the solenoid on a guys truck that was "stuck" and sent the guy on his way.Well he cameback in a week or two with the same problem and said WTF? I delt with a commercial electronics equipent repair place (where I got my starters, solenoids and alternators) and said WTF to them, they tore down the parts and inform me the solenoid was welded. Again I said WTF to them, thats when they explained it to me. I went back and checked the charging starting system and found two of the four batteries were n.g. This can also happen because of a poor ground. Most starter/solenoid problems (in my experience) were due to some sort of battery issue.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:42 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: PJC Racing

Low voltage in the solenoid causes excess arcing in the housing, this arcing causes the "piston" to weld its self to the housing. I have delt with this issue several times in the comercial truck repair business.
Ahhh...metallic gurgle = arcing. Makes sense, I still feel it may be a bit ofstretch though for a standard non-commercial application single battery 12v application.

Commercial trucks typicallyhave several 12V batteries in parallel, series or combinations ofconfigurations to either maintain 12v or bump it to 24v. Any combination of theseincrease the crank capacity astronomically (amperage).This amperage bump is what probably makes it more common in commercial trucking.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:58 PM
PJC Racing
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Derf00

Ahhh...metallic gurgle = arcing. Makes sense, I still feel it may be a bit ofstretch though for a standard non-commercial application single battery 12v application.

Commercial trucks typicallyhave several 12V batteries in parallel, series or combinations ofconfigurations to either maintain 12v or bump it to 24v. Any combination of theseincrease the crank capacity astronomically (amperage).This amperage bump is what probably makes it more common in commercial trucking.
You have a good point here. Iwould still check the battery and ground if I had a stuck solenoid ona single battery application.More times than not something caused it to stick other than wear and tear IMO.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:04 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: Derf00

You have a good point here. Iwould still check the battery and ground if I had a stuck solenoid ona single battery application.More times than not something caused it to stick other than wear and tear IMO.
Well that could resolve his secondary issue..now back to the OP I'm sticking with something fuel related. Although you brough up a vacuum leak. Vacuum changes path or doesnt matter as much when WOT orheavy on the gas vs idle or puttin' around.

Vacuum test would be a good thing to look at for any leaks or sensors that are not working properly. That's getting a bit over my head though in terms of tracing.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:24 PM
tw3ak
2nd Gear Member

I'm pretty sure its not a vaccum leak. I put a breather on a valve cover recently because I kept blowing out my pcv. Itran crappy before I put the breather in so it has nothing to do with that. Now since I put abreather on thepassenger valve cover shouldI get rid of the pcv and get a breather for there too? I thought i read something about that.

I recentlyputmy engine back togetherso I knowall the vaccum lines aregeing used or are capped off.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:28 PM
tw3ak
2nd Gear Member

Low voltage in the solenoid causes excess arcing in the housing, this arcing causes the "piston" to weld its self to the housing. I have delt with this issue several times in the comercial truck repair business. When I first started out in the business I learned the hard way. I replaced the solenoid on a guys truck that was "stuck" and sent the guy on his way.Well he cameback in a week or two with the same problem and said WTF? I delt with a commercial electronics equipent repair place (where I got my starters, solenoids and alternators) and said WTF to them, they tore down the parts and inform me the solenoid was welded. Again I said WTF to them, thats when they explained it to me. I went back and checked the charging starting system and found two of the four batteries were n.g. This can also happen because of a poor ground. Most starter/solenoid problems (in my experience) were due to some sort of battery issue.
Thanks PJC. I will check my ground. I have my battery in the hatch. Where is the best place to ground it?
Old 06-12-2008, 08:38 PM
tw3ak
2nd Gear Member

Could an o2 sensor cause this problem?

I think its an injector. Is there anyway to tell if an injector is bad just by inspecting them?
Old 06-13-2008, 01:39 AM
tw3ak
2nd Gear Member

I have a feeling it might be fuel related.I have good pressure up to the regulator. So i figuredI would check the injectors.So I removed my fuel injectors and while cleaning them I realized im missing an o ring on the top of one of the injectors. I went and check the lower intake.. nothing checked the fuel line and found two o rings in two seperate spots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That means i was running a injector with a extra o ring shoved on top of it.

Would this be the cause of my problems?????? I know it cant be good.

Its too late to start it up. I guess I will find out tomorrow!

Quick Reply: Car running like dookie <<<Bad Injector?!