5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Car won't start with key... im stumped.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 04:32 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Default Car won't start with key... im stumped.

I stopped driving my car for a while (over the winter mostly) anda few weeks agoI went out to start it and got nothing. Battery was good, everything worked but didnt turn. I figured that the starter finally crapped out (it was giving me problems previously)so I went and bought a new one and replaced the old. NOTHING changed. I'm stumped on what it could be as of this point. Here the situation as of right now.Changed startercharged batterygear on the starter doesnt turn at alljumped the starter soleniod and it started right up
jumped the soleniod on the starter and it fired right up
Can anyone tell me the next step to take or a certain direction to look into. Right now I'm working on it in a public parking lot and don't have lots of time. I need to move it into the garage for a header swap real soon.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:37 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: Car won't start with key... im stumped.

without a test light my guess would be starter selonoid on the fenderwell
Old 06-13-2008, 04:39 PM
1988TTOP
4th Gear Member

my 88 gt dose the same thing still anit figured it out
Old 06-13-2008, 04:49 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mjr46

but when I jumped that my car started right up, wouldnt that rule that out?

possibly ignition switch? I'm running out of ideas.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:53 PM
1988TTOP
4th Gear Member

it still could be the starter selonoid it is 10 bucks along with the ignition switch i have replaced both of them on my car and still dont start with the key
Old 06-13-2008, 04:55 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: 88BlueGT

ORIGINAL: mjr46

but when I jumped that my car started right up, wouldnt that rule that out?

possibly ignition switch? I'm running out of ideas.
^^no cause you are eliminating that from the circuit...if you have power on the small wire going to the selonoid in the crank position..then ign switch is good and if you have 12v from battery to selonoid then wiring is good and if and when you jump from the 12v allways hot side to the other side of the selonoid = hot in crank to starter side..then the selonoid is bad..jumping from post to post on the selonoid is eliminating possible faulty contacts inside the selonoid from the circuit
Old 06-13-2008, 04:59 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

what small wire are you referring to. I'm having trouble comprehending your message lol I'm wiring disabled, always have been unfortunately. What do you recommend me testing to check? I have access to a tester.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:32 PM
1988TTOP
4th Gear Member

the small wire on the starter selonoid
Old 06-13-2008, 06:02 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

well i just went out and bought an ignition switch becuase autozone is closing and if i need it i want to have it. the ford dealer closes in an hour also so I need to know before that so I can get over there and get the soleniod if that needs to be replaced. I'm going to test the small wire on the soleniod to try and rule out the switch. ill let you know how it goes. not sure if I'm going to be able to find the small wire though, my soleniod is tucked under my fenderwell (hid all my wires) along with 1435 other wires all ziptied to the frame I have been dreading this day for a long time lol.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:55 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Car won'

well, I went and go a new soleniod from the dealer. I bought it at 7:50 and it was broke by 8:05. I got it home, swapped the soleniods and started tightening the nut on the positive and it wouldnt get tight. So I stuck my head under the fender to check it out and the stud was wiggling around. Come to find out, the stud didnt break, it came completely out of the unit! I wasnt even close to wrenching hard, I know how sensitive these things are so I was being super careful. Now I have to go there tomorrow and HOPE that they will exchange it and not give me sh*t and say that I was doing something wrong because I wasnt. Anyway, I'll post up tomorrow and let you guys know how everything went. Boy I hope I get my money back!

Quick Reply: Car won't start with key... im stumped.