5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Help on locating a leak!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 06:39 PM
Fistuv

Default Help on locating a leak!

Well, yesterday I was out playing around in the stang. She was running very strong. On my way home the temp gauge shoots from 180 all the way to 240 and it burried the needle. I stop right away. When I stopped the temp started coming down rather fast. So I left the car running to cool it down. It cooled down to about 200-210 and then I cut it off. I open the radiator to find its almost empty. I start putting water in just to see it leaking back out. I look under the car and I see its leaking water like crazy from the back of the motor. I know the leak is on the passanger side. I checked the best I could but couldn't really find a leak but I did see where it had got wet. With as much water as it is leaking I would figure it would be easy to locate the leak. Seeing as how I can not see the leak is it possible its the block? I checked the oil and there is no water in it at all. The car still runs great besides the leak so all cylinders are still firing and have good compression. I know the leak is on the passanger side in the back. The water leaks down between motor and bellhousing. Where do you think the leak could be?? Only good thing that can come of this now is I can get my heads ported. haha. My car is a 1995 GT with 308(5k miles on rebuild but 140k on block total),GT-40 heads,95 Cobra intake,1.6rollers,Ecam,High volume water pump, and just the usual mods u would do. When I had the heads ,intake and cam done I took it to a shop.A very well known shop. Since the work had been done the car would run about 20-30* hotter then the Tstat was set at. So with a 160 it would run 180-190 and with a 180 it would run 200-210. Thanks for any input.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:45 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Default RE: Help on locating a leak!

sounds like you popped a freeze plug. I think there are 2 of them on the back of the block
Old 06-14-2008, 06:49 PM
brentloftis
2nd Gear Member

If not the freeze plug maybe the heater core or heater hoses.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:52 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: brentloftis

If not the freeze plug maybe the heater core or heater hoses.
he said its coming from between the back of the motor... and the bellhousing

Old 06-14-2008, 07:07 PM
Fistuv

Yeah its def not a hose problem. I think Adder is right about the freeze plugs. Least I hopeits just something as simple as that. How hard would these be to replace? Can I just drop the tranny and access them? or do I have to pull the motor? Thanks.
Old 06-14-2008, 07:11 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

tranny, bellhousing, clutch/flywheel (or flexplate if its an auto)
Old 06-14-2008, 07:32 PM
1995mustang818
2nd Gear Member

suggestioni have the same manifold in the back there are two coolant passages and hoses use to go there the person who had my car before put vacum caps with hose clamps its possible that one has a hole i had the same problem 1st day i got the car i was smashing on just a suggestion hope this helps
Old 06-14-2008, 08:16 PM
brentloftis
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Fistuv

Well, yesterday I was out playing around in the stang. She was running very strong. On my way home the temp gauge shoots from 180 all the way to 240 and it burried the needle. I stop right away. When I stopped the temp started coming down rather fast. So I left the car running to cool it down. It cooled down to about 200-210 and then I cut it off. I open the radiator to find its almost empty. I start putting water in just to see it leaking back out. I look under the car and I see its leaking water like crazy from the back of the motor. I know the leak is on the passanger side. I checked the best I could but couldn't really find a leak but I did see where it had got wet. With as much water as it is leaking I would figure it would be easy to locate the leak. Seeing as how I can not see the leak is it possible its the block? I checked the oil and there is no water in it at all. The car still runs great besides the leak so all cylinders are still firing and have good compression. I know the leak is on the passanger side in the back. The water leaks down between motor and bellhousing. Where do you think the leak could be?? Only good thing that can come of this now is I can get my heads ported. haha. My car is a 1995 GT with 308(5k miles on rebuild but 140k on block total),GT-40 heads,95 Cobra intake,1.6rollers,Ecam,High volume water pump, and just the usual mods u would do. When I had the heads ,intake and cam done I took it to a shop.A very well known shop. Since the work had been done the car would run about 20-30* hotter then the Tstat was set at. So with a 160 it would run 180-190 and with a 180 it would run 200-210. Thanks for any input.
As I read it, "I know the leak is on the passenger side in the back. The water leaks down between motor and bell housing."
Assuming it is leaking down, and since it can be seen from the outside I would think more a external leak, as in hose or rear of intake but what ever. You should be able to pull the inspection plate offbetween the bell housing and block andfill the radiator, if it is the freeze plug it is prior to the tstat so regardless of the engine temp it will leak out. If it comes through the inspection plate then yes, freeze plug.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:36 PM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

my car did this.. changed lower intake gasket and problem solved.

rent a pressure tester from autozone.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:39 PM
wiljersey
1st Gear Member

i had the problem just like this. the hose that goes from the factory heater hose through the tb and out into a male nipple on the back of the lower intake. trhe hose by the firewall is loose or came off.

Quick Reply: Help on locating a leak!