5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Why cant I get any Engine Codes ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 01:21 PM
bjlo4life

Default Why cant I get any Engine Codes ?

I'm tryin to to do a KOER test and I cant get any codes. I located my eec test box and took off the cover. Put my volt meter pos. post on the pos. batt. terminal neg volt meter in the 4th terminal in the box and ran a jumper wire from the single wire connector to the 2nd terminal in the eec box like my book says too. I turn on my key and nothing, no jump in the meter at all. Is my volt meter the wrong one or am i doing something wrong ? my meter does ac,dc and amps. I might not have the correct volt meter, it is also for stuff around the house as well, not specifically for automotive.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:38 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Why cant I get any Engine Codes ?

You can use a test light connected to the battery (+) terminal instead of the VOM. Check this DIY KOEO/KOER/Cylinder Balance Self-Test procedure for a little more info and LUK.

Old 06-17-2008, 05:43 PM
bjlo4life

thanks for the test light trick , i'll give it a shot.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:01 PM
z24stang
2nd Gear Member

What if you still cant get codes.Say the wrong single wire was hooked up? Is the computer screwed.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:07 PM
Projectquick
5th Gear Member

You do know that the CEL will blink indicating the codes too, right? As long as the right plug is grounded out it should work.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:16 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: z24stang

What if you still cant get codes.Say the wrong single wire was hooked up? Is the computer screwed.
If you jumped the underhood light terminal (similar to the STI plug) to the SIGRTN terminal in the VIP connector....... install a jumper wire from the correct STI plug to a good ground instead..... if TPS, BP, ECT, ACT, EVP codes show in a KOEO this way...... yep, the ECM has a blown line in the SIGRTN circuit on the board.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:28 PM
z24stang
2nd Gear Member

Thanks JOEL ,ill try that.And sorry for the hijack but this info might help bjlo4life.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:11 AM
bjlo4life

Well I tried the test light trick and still nothing. When i did the test light and turned the key forward the light just stayed lit up. No blinking at all. For some reason though i heard my fuel pump relay kick in and my pump ran for a few seconds. ?? I dont think my check engine light even works, weather its blown bulp or what, so there wasnt any engine light flashing. So what do u guys think i can do now to get some codes ? Or is it possible i do have a bad computer ?
And to Joel5.0 do you think if that SIGRTN circuit on the board has a blown line what do you do Replace The Computer ?
Old 06-18-2008, 11:59 AM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bjlo4life

Well I tried the test light trick and still nothing. When i did the test light and turned the key forward the light just stayed lit up. No blinking at all. For some reason though i heard my fuel pump relay kick in and my pump ran for a few seconds. ?? I dont think my check engine light even works, weather its blown bulp or what, so there wasnt any engine light flashing. So what do u guys think i can do now to get some codes ? Or is it possible i do have a bad computer ?
And to Joel5.0 do you think if that SIGRTN circuit on the board has a blown line what do you do Replace The Computer ?
Did you install a jumper wire from the STI terminal to a good ground (frame or battery (-) terminal) instead of the SIGRTN terminal?...... if not, need to try that alternative first and check how the test light "behaves".
Old 06-18-2008, 06:06 PM
bjlo4life

ok guys finally got some codes. As for the KOEO i got 22-map sensor outa range
67-a/c clutch
81-thermactor air circuit
82-thermactor air circuit,integ. cont. crt
85-canister purge circuit
as for the C cont. mem. i got a 22-same as above
31-canister or egr valve control system
51-coolant temp sensor
53-throttle post. sensor
54-vane air flow sensor or air charge temp. sensor
63-throttle post. sensor or circuit
96-fuel pump circuit
Now i didnt get any codes for the R engine running for some reason. I tried it twice and still woulnt get any codes. Do you guys think i need to worry about any of these codes , if so what ones are really critical to fix. Thanks againg for everyone who has helped. especially w/ just getting the codes in the first place. good tip on grounding the sti terminal.

Quick Reply: Why cant I get any Engine Codes ?