5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Hood Pin Installation Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 12:32 PM
RMBillings

Default Hood Pin Installation Help

I have a 1990 LX Mustang Convertible that I am trying to put a Carbon Filber Cowl Induction hood on and I am having a hard time trying to figure out where to mount the hood pins? I have never had to do this so I just don't want to mess up my brand new hood. Does some one have any instructions on this installation or be able to give me some steps?

One of the problems I am having is tring to figure out where on the support to mount the pins. There does not seem to be a lot of room. I have heard some guys replace the front hood stops with the pins but does that really work? What is used for the front stops then?

Any help that you could give me would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:15 PM
ponyboy302
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Hood Pin Installation Help

well first id get that hood on and aligned properly ..i would not remove the bump stops .. pick a good spot on the radiator support , its up to you really where youd like them and drill a hole to fit your pins .. bolt them in ..put a chalk or powder on the tips lower the hood till it touches the pins so you can see your mark on the hood .. then drill a very small hole through the hood .. at this point i would take a good look at the pins get a good idea of the angle of the pins in relation to the hood and which direction your going to drill <they should be more or less straight up and down > then remove the pins close the hood ..put a little masking tape around the hole to be drilled and make a hole a touch smaller than the pin put the pins back and lower the hood check the alignment and continue and adjust as you feel necessary..oh and i never used a carbon hood but when i did the fiberglass one the first time i kept the holes tight and when the hood rubbed against the pin it squeeked and became quite annoying lol anyway im sure someone else will let ya know so good luck !
Old 06-18-2008, 02:30 PM
RMBillings

Did you mount the pins on the inside of the hood stops or outside toward the fenders? About how far in from the fender?

Let me know.

Thank you.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:05 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

I used the places where the stop bumpers used to be.
4.5" in from fenders on my '84.
Been there for several years, no problems..........
Old 06-18-2008, 07:13 PM
jtmustang
5th Gear Member

i have been debating on where to put mine also as have seen a lot of guys put them where the bump stops are and am about tp paint and want to see where else some guys put them......................................... .....................................?
Old 06-19-2008, 05:18 AM
RMBillings

Anyone have any pictures they would post to show me the installed look under the hood? Any help would really be appreciated because I really want to get my Mustang back on the road this weekend.

Thank you.