5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Underhood Wiring Project

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 02:09 PM
50Trippin
2nd Gear Member

Default Underhood Wiring Project

So yesterday, I decided to go out to the garage and disassemble something Worked on it for about 2 1/2 hours total. Goal is to hide as much as possible without cutting any wires, or at least keep it to a minimum, and install a new Jacobs ignition system. So far I have all wiring from the front and driver's side pulled through the fender, haven't had to cut anything except some wiring I ran for the flashers. Not sure what I'm going to be able to do with all the vacuum stuff on the passenger side but will address that later.

Next step will be some rust cleanup before I start mounting parts in the fenderwell to test fit the fenders. Will post up more pics when installation progresses.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:14 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

Default RE: Underhood Wiring Project

holy air silencer batman
Old 06-18-2008, 02:19 PM
50Trippin
2nd Gear Member

That's just the scoop. The air silencer was removed from it.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:01 PM
ALMOST STOCK
4th Gear Member

Congrats...Looks Great!!

You shouldn't have to cut or extend any wires unless you've weld up the inner fender in the engine bay.
I welded up my inner fender and the only 2 sets of wires I had to cut and extend were the wires going to the A/C compressor and the wires to the Overflow bottle.

You can hide all the vacuum lines in the fenders just like the wires.

You can also hide/relocate your brake lines so that there not as noticeableif you're really looking to clean up your engine bay.

Just suggestions...and nothing else, enjoy the project and keep those pics coming.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:14 PM
50Trippin
2nd Gear Member

Well I haven't welded up any of the holes and don't plan to right now. Good news is I don't have A/C and my overflow doesn't have the low coolant sensor.

The only wires it looks like i'm going to have to replace is the starter wire to reach the solenoid.

I was more looking to make the bay look a little cleaner and install my ignition. I will look over the brake lines and see what I can do with them. I plan on taking care of the rust first tomorrow night.

Will add more pics probably this weekend.

Almost Stock - Can you post a pic of your engine bay. I think I remember seeing it before in a wire hiding post but don't remember how/where you moved everything.

Thanks.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:43 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

His engine bay is the holy grail of engine bays on here! Be sure to wear a welding helmet when the lights shine on that motor or you will be blinded lol. You can tuck your brake lines under the lip that they sit on.
As you can see in one of my older pics of my engine bay.
http://s284.photobucket.com/albums/l...FrontClose.jpg
Old 06-19-2008, 12:19 AM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

I hid all my wires and I only remember having to extend one or two at the most (don't specifically remember which ones though). I also ran all my vacuum lines into the fender. I just drilled some holes and bolted the mount right onto my frail rail.

This is the picture from the first time I relocated them about a year ago I guess. It didnt turn out the best in the world but for a short weekend worth of work I was pretty happy with the outcome.There are still tons to relocate though, thats for another day lol.

BEFORE:

AFTER:
Old 06-19-2008, 06:26 AM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

I did mine too, there sure is alot of wires, I did the hood cable as well
Old 06-19-2008, 07:51 AM
ALMOST STOCK
4th Gear Member

No problem.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:00 AM
50Trippin
2nd Gear Member

Man I love the look of your car!

On the passenger side, moving the vac lines into the fender, do you have to extend any of the lines? I have no smog, just the egr, F/P and intake vac line.

88BlueGT - Mine will look more like yours in the picture. I'm not wanting to spend a ton of time on this. Want to have it wrapped up in time for a weekend drive.

Thanks for the responses.

Quick Reply: Underhood Wiring Project