5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Over Heating with AC on

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 11:54 AM
bbbngowc
3rd Gear Member

Default Over Heating with AC on

When I'm driving my car with the AC on, it starts to over heat. To the point that when I turn the car off, there's a loud sound (like air is escaping) from between the water pump and one of the hoses.

Turn the AC off and it drops to normal temp. Any idea as to why this happens?

What should I look for first? Also Radiator fluid is leaking from somewhere. It's a new Radiator and new fan clutch.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:42 PM
brentloftis
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Over Heating with AC on

Finding the leak would be the first thing, is it where you see coolant on the ground, smell it, or just losing coolant with no external leaks?
Old 06-19-2008, 04:18 PM
bbbngowc
3rd Gear Member

I can see the coolant onthe ground.

Strange that after replacing just a fan clutch that this would start happening. [:@]
Old 06-19-2008, 04:23 PM
redpony88
4th Gear Member

can you see where it's coming from? and where is it, back of the engine, front? if it's a fox, i know the heater cores like to die.... sometimes lines will break or holes appear and they let loose a raging torrent of 200* coolant into your car[:@]. check the hoses for leaks and also around the water pump
Old 06-19-2008, 04:33 PM
bbbngowc
3rd Gear Member

What and Where is the heater core?
Old 06-19-2008, 04:49 PM
brentloftis
2nd Gear Member

Heater core is behind the dash, not a way to look and check it without removing the dash. Feel your carpet on the passenger side for wetness although I imagine you would be smelling it by now. The hoses leading to the core are under the hood between the engine and the passenger compartment, so at the rear of the engine. When you see the coolant on the ground, where in relation is it to the engine bay, front left, right rear, center, etc.
As for the fan clutch... it should not be related to the AC, have you checked to make sure the condenser is not blocked with debris... although this still does not make sense in my head with the symptoms?????
Old 06-19-2008, 05:11 PM
brentloftis
2nd Gear Member

Thought about it some more.... wondering if the temp gauge is reading false, the location of the AC and the wiring to the fan clutch is in the general area of the temp sending unit could something be grounding out the wire causing the gauge to climb (assuming this is a fox)? After the car has sat for awhile and is cold, start it and turn the AC on immediately and watch to see if the gauge climbs rapidly.... still need to locate the leak though.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:22 PM
bbbngowc
3rd Gear Member

The AC is practically new.

New Compressor
New Condensor
New Liquid Line Hose
New Discharge Line Hose
New Radiator
New Radiator Hoses

The temp gauge is not wrong. When the temp reaches those high numbers and I come to a stop, turn the engine off, there's a noise that sounds like air is escaping or pressure is building up (and being released). Plus there's radiator fluid on the ground. There are puddles of radiator fluid right behind one of the hoses on the water pump.

Again, this only started happening since I changed my fan clutch and only when I have the AC on.

There's no wetness on the passenger side (thank God), so the heater core hose is fine.

Think I need a new water pump?

Old 06-19-2008, 09:30 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

the hissing sound from the a/c when shut off is nothing to be worried about ....that is just the sound of the pressures equalizing
Old 06-19-2008, 09:33 PM
bbbngowc
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: brentloftis

Thought about it some more.... wondering if the temp gauge is reading false, the location of the AC and the wiring to the fan clutch is in the general area of the temp sending unit could something be grounding out the wire causing the gauge to climb (assuming this is a fox)? After the car has sat for awhile and is cold, start it and turn the AC on immediately and watch to see if the gauge climbs rapidly.... still need to locate the leak though.

Yes it's a 1991 GT.

After it has sat over night, I turned it on and turned the AC on, the temp did climb rather quickly. Then I turned it off and could hear air escaping but no radiator fluid this time.

Quick Reply: Over Heating with AC on