5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Did i smoke my clutch

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 12:01 PM
gtpcoupe
2nd Gear Member

Default Did i smoke my clutch

i have a 94 mustang gt 5 speed, ive had it for like 6 months and ive never even got on it hard in first gear. so i decided to come to a dead stop, rev it 2k and drop itand see what it would do. this was a bad idea, first it started smoking the tires and then i kinda stoped pulling i went to hit 2nd and it wouldnt even go into gear so let of it and then just tried to put it in third wouldnt go in at all. i looked behind me and theres a huge cloud of smoke and i smell that clutch burining. i somehow force it in gear(makes a horrible grinding noise) and limp it home. im thinking the clutch is completly gone. its weird though because it never slipped before and always felt real solid. i was thinking maybe it could be the clutch cable broke or strectched or something? the pedal is real easy to push in now, feels like there is nothing behind it anymore but it does come back up to a normal level when you let of it. im almost 100% sure its the clutch but figured i run it past you guys and see what you thought. so ill go ahead and ask what clutch do you recommend me replace it with? i was looking at the centerforce dual friction kit for like 400$, are there similar performers for less $? the car is stock but i might as well upgrade while im in there. i want a clutch that can take alot of abuse, i tend to slip the clutch a little much in traffic sometimes and would like a material that is more resistant to that type of driving. any help on this matter would be greatly apreciated, thanks
Old 06-22-2008, 12:13 PM
redpony88
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Did i smoke my clutch

ouch. not sure what broke. but i noticed you were thinking of a centerforce d/f, imho they are too pricey, i loved my hays clutch when i had it in my 88 the thing held up to my 331 stroker with edelbrock everything, f cam, 30 lbs. that was a nice clutch, only reason i upgraded was cause i KILLED my 3rd gear and got a tko
Old 06-22-2008, 12:20 PM
gtpcoupe
2nd Gear Member

hays havent heard of that but ill look into it, thanks man. im going to resurface the flywheel myself so ill save a little there. how much is the hays clutch and who carrys it? does anyone know who many thousands can be taken of the stock flywheel?
Old 06-22-2008, 12:27 PM
redpony88
4th Gear Member

here it is. and while you're at it, just get a new cable and quadrant personally i would NOT get oem. i like the one i got from ford racing it was 100 bucks for the kit. that alone made the clutch feel better
Old 06-22-2008, 02:06 PM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

my cars got a stiff clutch and its hard not to ride it from a stop so i let it out really slow and let it get rolling then apply the gas and release

from what you describe about the pedal i bet you the cable got stretched. your clutch wouldnt just smoke from 1 burn out.

about the tranny not going into gear its more than likely the synchro's.

i have to shift 2nd and 3rd "slow" when the cars at WOT.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:56 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

try looking into a spec clutch also and if you smoked your cluch that bad then you may need a flywheel resurface and or replace.....let it cool and go for another drive and see if it still slips
Old 06-22-2008, 05:08 PM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

I would say Spec too if you need one, I would buy a new flywheel too
Old 06-22-2008, 05:35 PM
gtpcoupe
2nd Gear Member

thanks guys. the clutch never actually slipped it just would not go into the gears. im thinking its the cable. how would i check to see if this is the prob? just check to see if there is slack in it? its like trying to change gears without attempting to push the clutch in, it will go but its real hard to get it to. i guess the smoke could have been tire smoke. it cant bethe syncros because i cant see ALL of them going out all at once when it happend in first gear. my clutch always has been really hard to push in so maybe that cable was adjusted wrong where it was to tight and i finally snapped it. but i was thinking if the clutch burnt up it would still engage and disengage from the tranny when you press it in right???
Old 06-22-2008, 05:57 PM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

if its a stock cable pull up on the pedal then press it in

you should feel plenty of resistance
Old 06-22-2008, 06:02 PM
gtpcoupe
2nd Gear Member

it has some resistance but not near as much as it used to. when the car is off i can shift the trans freely but when i turn it on it wont go in at all unless you force it. so that rules out any tranny probs. the clutch simply is not disengaging allowing it to freely go into the next gear. i belive the cable is stretched not broken because i would assume the pedal would stick to the floor if it broke. is there any way to adjust it to see if i can make it any better?

Quick Reply: Did i smoke my clutch