5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

engine bearings and oil??

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 02:58 PM
91GTSTANGKID
1st Gear Member

Default engine bearings and oil??

i Have a 91 mustang gt completly stock minus the mufflers and i have been having trouble with the oil gauge so i had the oil changed and the tech. said that my bearings may be going on the engine...anyone know how much it will cost to replace that??
Old 06-23-2008, 04:40 PM
FLcracker9
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: engine bearings and oil??

anyone know how much it will cost to replace that??

A lot!. It's tough to estimate the cost of a repair, too many variables. On a 91, if the bearings are worn, so is the rest of the motor, and the best bet would be to throw a short block in it. Did the tech give you any specific reason as to why he thinks the bearings are bad?. If it were me, I would invest a few dollars in a mechanical oil pressure guage, and see what the pressure truly is. They're very easy to hook up, and more accurate than the electric one you have now. Then if the pressure reads too low, make a decision on what to do.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:45 PM
FLcracker9
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FLcracker9

anyone know how much it will cost to replace that??

A lot!. It's tough to estimate the cost of a repair, too many variables. On a 91, if the bearings are worn, so is the rest of the motor, and the best bet would be to throw a short block in it. Did the tech give you any specific reason as to why he thinks the bearings are bad?. If it were me, I would invest a few dollars in a mechanical oil pressure guage, and see what the pressure truly is. They're very easy to hook up, and more accurate than the electric one you have now. Then if the pressure reads too low, make a decision on what to do.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:28 PM
91GTSTANGKID
1st Gear Member

all he said was that when the oil gauge goes down to L and then rises when the car is running that the bearing could be wearing or worn.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:41 PM
vogs77
1st Gear Member

My oil guage is up and down intermitently, first thing that I am going to do is get a mechanical one. I think it is a guage or sender issue with mine. Do you have any engine noise. I still recomend getting an exact reading rather than a "NORMAL" range.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:59 PM
91GTSTANGKID
1st Gear Member

yea i might get a mechanical gauge but when i checked my oil the dip stick said it was full
Old 06-23-2008, 07:07 PM
URLACHER54
2nd Gear Member

that is completely normal on the fox body Mustangs
Old 06-23-2008, 07:07 PM
ryan_89_mustang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vogs77

My oil gauge is up and down intermittently, first thing that I am going to do is get a mechanical one. I think it is a gauge or sender issue with mine. Do you have any engine noise. I still recommend getting an exact reading rather than a "NORMAL" range.
Get a new sender its like 15bucks. 9 chances out of 10 jumpy oil pressure on stock fox bodies is a gauge or sender issue. If you have low oil pressure most likely it will be real low at warm idle and will be slightly higher when you first start the car.

If you verify with a mech gauge that it is bad you can run a thicker oil if you are strapped for cash it will buy a little more time out of the motor.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:48 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Sounds like your "tech" wants some money. Get a mechanical gauge. They are cheap and a good piece of info to keep an eye on. Hell my stock gauge stays almost peaked most of the time and then after awhile.....a long while..... it will finally drop to the middle and raise back up a little after I run it longer.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:12 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

why don't you teach your mechanic about verification via using a mech gauge to get an accurate reading on pressure cold and hot

Quick Reply: engine bearings and oil??