5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

please help this is killing me!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 05:57 PM
91lx50udlose
2nd Gear Member

Default please help this is killing me!

i need help with a problem i am having with my new motor

first i will tell you the bottom end is a stock rebuild
it now has fresh gt40 iron heads
tf street intake and an e cam

ok the problem is my car loses waterits not leaking water or smoking or getting in the oil but after the car is good and hot when i turn the car off the radiator hoses have alot of pressure on them (more than normal) and it will fill the over flow jug so much that it runs out the top of the over flow jug and onto the ground.
but the car never got hot until last week on the interstate we drove about 60 miles then had to stop at 2 red lights then took back off went about 45 seconds and the guage was shooting up fast! so i pulled over and cut the car off opened the hood and i have a new radiator cap with a pressure relief valve so i released the pressure slowly as i was doing so it was once again filling up the over flow jug and when i got all the pressure off i took the cap off and filled the radiator full which it was about 1 gallon low then started the car back up and the temp dropped back to normal
it did that twice that day same problem
i also blew a heater hose that day that was almost brand new and i think it was excessive pressure that was the cause

first when i got the problem i started with a new radiator cap, new thermostat 180*, new fan clutch, and i took it to the local community college where i borrowed this tool im not sure what the call it but it has this fluid in it and they put it on the neck of the radiator and it checks for combustion gasses in the cooling system for example head gasket, cracked head, etc. it came back clean no combustion gasses so i don't know what else to do anyone ever heard of this before?
please help
Old 06-23-2008, 06:13 PM
brentloftis
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: please help this is killing me!

Go to Autozone or what ever over the counter part store you have around and get a block test kit ($20) Plus fluid $10 and follow the directions and test your system. This will let you know if you have exhaust gas in your colling system and causing excessive pressure.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:22 PM
redpony88
4th Gear Member

try running some rad flush through. or just go get a aluminum rad
Old 06-23-2008, 06:24 PM
redpony88
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: brentloftis

Go to Autozone or what ever over the counter part store you have around and get a block test kit ($20) Plus fluid $10 and follow the directions and test your system. This will let you know if you have exhaust gas in your colling system and causing excessive pressure.
ORIGINAL: 91lx50udlose

i borrowed this tool im not sure what the call it but it has this fluid in it and they put it on the neck of the radiator and it checks for combustion gasses in the cooling system for example head gasket, cracked head, etc. it came back clean no combustion gasses
ummm he said he did check for the exhaust gases......
Old 06-23-2008, 06:51 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

by releasing the pressure in the cooling system, and then filling the radiator... you actually over-filled it

the problem isnt the car.. its YOU

when water heats up, it expands. The radiator cap is designed to release the pressure after a pre-determined pressure is reached (usually 16 psi)

by releasing the pressure that was built up you were in fact draining some of the coolant out of the car.
the ONLY place you should be adding coolant to is the overflow bottle. When the car is cooling off, the system will actually suck the coolant back into the radiator

*edit*
and from the sound of things... you shooting off a heater hose... you probably have a bad rad cap. Take that POS pressure relief cap and throw it in the garbage. get a standard STANT cap and put it on there
Old 06-23-2008, 07:22 PM
91lx50udlose
2nd Gear Member

im not over filling it it's building too much pressure i know it expands but its not supposed to make the radiator get so low that it runshot! and there is no need to fill the overflow jug because it is full all the time after its been run
the reason it is losing the water is becuase it is building sooooo much pressure that it releases it in the over flow
im trying to get help finding why there is too much pressure causing the problem im not asking how to fill the radiator
Old 06-23-2008, 07:26 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: 91lx50udlose
im trying to get help finding why there is too much pressure causing the problem im not asking how to fill the radiator
GET A REGULAR F*CKING CAP
Old 06-23-2008, 07:30 PM
91lx50udlose
2nd Gear Member

i had a regular cap it wouldnt hold the pressure and it leaked straight out of the cap thats why i took it off!
Old 06-23-2008, 07:36 PM
91lx50udlose
2nd Gear Member

like i said it is building so much pressure that it just keeps pouring it in to the over flow and it is emptying the radiator
Old 06-23-2008, 07:42 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Was it a new cap? It shouldn't have been leaking out of the cap so it doesn't sound like the regular cap was new.......but......DID YOU BURP THE AIR OUT OF YOUR SYSTEM????? That could be part of it. Is you timing dead on right? I was having a overheating problem similar to yours when my dizzy was off a tooth or two. How old is the radiator???? Could be partially clogged.

Quick Reply: please help this is killing me!