5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

transmission,gears,hci,nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 11:38 PM
big ben
2nd Gear Member

Default transmission,gears,hci,nitrous

alright hears the deal i went to a local car show and some of the guys in civics were beatin up on my buddys mustang it doesnt have many mods basicly a full exhust, headers, trick flow intake, underdrive pulleys, and gears. being a owner of 3 mustangs i took this quite hard, i went home and while browsing ebay found a 1991lx 5.0 automatic for 1200$ about 2 hours from my house and i thought this thing has sleeper writen all over it[sm=icon_rofl.gif]but anyhow its got a bad tranny im guessing an AOD. the car comes with a good transmission again probibly AOD. the guy says it has a police intercepor motor in it(???) and a 600cfm holley carb.

ok heres my plan a very quiet exhust trick flow stage 1 cam,victor style intake, 670 carb, gt40 heads, and a 150 shot (not my daily driver) under drive pullys and electric fan, but i dont know what to do for a tranny. i know i want a 2800 stall coverteri have a c4 tranny thats supposed to be pritty fresh. so i guess im asking what tranny would be better for running on the street with a drag radial and 4.10s and what would be cheaper to build all included the AOD or a c4? i will also be bringing it to the track for street night. if i run the c4 what will i need to do to the drive shaft and tranny mount? also what kind of numbers could be had with a good tune and traction? any input is better than none thanks
Old 06-24-2008, 12:00 AM
big ben
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: transmission,gears,hci,nitrous

This is a beautiful Mustang and has been modified. NYS Police Interceptor 5.0 engine, Holley 600 carb, Holley Street Dominator intake manifold.
Never driven in winter. No rust! It has new tires and exhaust. Crager drag wheels.
Vehicle needs a transmission. A good tranny is included but needs to be installed. Also needs a gas tank. The interior needs some TLC but overall good shape with no rips.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:18 AM
big ben
2nd Gear Member

also what did 91 lx's come with for a rearend? trac lock?
sh@t i just looked into it and it was a 4cyl car please tell me that doesnt mean 7.5 open rearend
Old 06-24-2008, 10:42 AM
redpony88
4th Gear Member

go with the c4 that'll hold up better to a good built motor, that you're thinking of sounds awesome, that thing would eat those little ricers alive . the rear end in a 4 cyl is a 7.5 BUT if someone did the full swap they should have put in the 8.8 no matter what anything 86+ with the 5.0 had the 8.8, 85 was the last of the carb and 7.5 in a v8. i cant say what you would have to do to the driveshaft or anything cause i just dont like autos. i only drive standards, my thing. so i never deal with them really...
Old 06-24-2008, 11:19 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

The police interceptor motor isn't anything special in my book. If it has seen a po po car then it has most likly been beat on. No big deal though, bore it out, new bearings and top it off with your combo and you will have some fun. If you want a better sleeper find an older fox (79-85ish). They are a couple hundred pounds lighter. My 83 supposidly came from the factory tippin the scales at like 2587 lbs. Granted with a couple extra suspension parts and all the EFI stuff it would be heavier but still its a good place to start. The weight is where the hondas get us at! Unless they have a turbo or a big shot of nitrous those things don't run much better than low 12's high 11's and still be streetable.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:44 AM
redpony88
4th Gear Member

yea, if the motor hasnt been rebuilt you would need to do that. but thing is if you build up a good motor you can whoop alot of cars a$$es. foxes are light for mustangs, and they can HAUL if you do it right
Old 06-24-2008, 12:05 PM
big ben
2nd Gear Member

yeah this is gonna be one of those no extra anything cars id like to get it down to about 2700lbs is it possible to shave 300 lbs from a stang? im thinkin take out the rear seats ac/smog pumps (nots sure if it still has them) and reloacate the batterie (no weight lose but still a good mod for the traction impaired!) but what elts can i do for weight loss?
Old 06-24-2008, 12:14 PM
redpony88
4th Gear Member

get tubular suspension, my tubular k-memberweighed 25 lbs compared to the stock thats like 75 lbs or so. you can get the tubular a-arms and rear control arms. plus those will take more abuse than the stock ones
Old 06-24-2008, 03:29 PM
big ben
2nd Gear Member

i still need to know what ill have to do in order to run a c4 drivshaft/crossmember?
Old 06-24-2008, 04:10 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

If you are going from a 5 speed to a c4 then all you will need is the trans with conveter, shifter with cable, flexplate (be sure its the right tooth count for the bellhousing size), kickdown cable, and maybe a couple of small misc items but that is the big items. The driveshaft and mount will work for t5 and c4 applications.

Quick Reply: transmission,gears,hci,nitrous