5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

torque converters???

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 11:01 PM
Trannyman
1st Gear Member

Default RE: torque converters???

ORIGINAL: ohsoquik02

AOD stock says lock up. they recomend you get a non lock up converter when upgrading. i run a non lockup. lockup is good for boosted applications
AOD does not have lock up. There is a different mechanical function taking place in the converter. I haven't really studied up on it. Mayhaps some kind of viscous clutch or something. But if you look carefully at an AOD tranny, there are NO solenoids. There are only two sensors going INTO the trans, the Vehicle Speed Sensor and the Rev light switch. Compare that to an AODE or 4R70W and you will see the connector for all the solenoids on the passenger side of the trans.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:48 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

i guess the all the resources that say fords AOD is a lockup is wrong...thanks trannyman, you done solved all my answers
Old 05-04-2005, 08:22 PM
Trannyman
1st Gear Member

Ok, hate to bring up a topic that has dropped off the front page. Did some digging around at work for more info on AOD converters. Maybe this belongs in it's own topic and if the mods think this is a copyright infringement please remove it and drop me a "bad boy!" PM about it.

This article was clipped from a transmission industry magazine called GEARS and was written by ATRA staff writers. But since so many of us drive Fox bodied 'stangs I felt I should post this info. So, here is the article.

It is a common misbelief that the FORD AOD uses a lock-up torque converter. We have received many requests for information on how to delay lock-up. Comments like: "It locks-up too early; lock-up and third gear are on top of each other; the customer is complaining that the car lugs; and can I disable the lock-up, without the unit burning up?"

The truth of the matter is that the direct clutch drum is mechanically driven by the damper assembly in the torque converter. Do not confuse the damper assembly with a converter clutch. It does not have an apply or release function. The easiest way to explain what a damper assembly is, is to compare it with a clutch in a standard transmission. Imagine that you take a plain old clutch disk and remove all of the friction material. Now take what's left-over and weld it to the inside of the torque converter. There you have it. When the converter turns with the engine, so does the damper assembly. Since the direct clutch is splined to the damper assembly, the direct drum is always turning when the engine is running. When the direct clutch is applied (third and fourth gear) the transmission is driven mechanically. You can not separate the two functions.

Driveablitiy concerns of lugging, chugging and no power are either engine related or the transmission is shifting into third or fourth gear too early.