5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

supercharger or turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 05:35 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Default RE: supercharger or turbo?

Good turbos have better thermal efficiency, so when both are operating in their peak island efficiency range the turbo is pumping more oxygen molucules than the supercharger, couple that with it's ability to use far less power than a belt driven blower to produce that boost, and the turbo is the clear performer. Turbo setups require a lot more fabrication though, and are often a more complicated system, and can cost more. They each have advantages and disadvantages.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:00 PM
OneFastEclipse
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: OnyxCobra

ORIGINAL: 67mustang302

A properly setup single turbo will outperform any belt driven supercharger.
I'm thinking this is probably true, I've seen 430whp from an E7 headed 5.0 turbo on reasonable boost, never seen a s/c come close to that.
You haven't been looking hard enough then. Do a search for Tim Stockwell and see what you find.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:58 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: OneFastEclipse

I'm thinking this is probably true, I've seen 430whp from an E7 headed 5.0 turbo on reasonable boost, never seen a s/c come close to that.
You haven't been looking hard enough then. Do a search for Tim Stockwell and see what you find.
I'll pass. If you want me to see something then post it up...
Old 07-03-2008, 09:42 PM
greenstreak9205
4th Gear Member

o the laziness you shall find on MF. i see we haven't changed much around here
Old 07-03-2008, 10:15 PM
OneFastEclipse
3rd Gear Member

I'll pass. If you want me to see something then post it up...
But yet you're so quick to post something you seem to know nothing about....
Old 07-04-2008, 12:11 AM
redpony88
4th Gear Member

sure a s/c can get you on a launch, but once that turbo sppols which is in prolly 1 sec you blow away s/c mustangs. the turbo is more efficient. i'd rather spend the money and run a GOOD turbo kit that runs off both sides of the exhaust instead of one and that'll bring that turbo lag WAY down. really i have no problem believing thats a stock setup on that car, turbo's are better.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:22 AM
OneFastEclipse
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: redpony88

sure a s/c can get you on a launch, but once that turbo sppols which is in prolly 1 sec you blow away s/c mustangs. the turbo is more efficient. i'd rather spend the money and run a GOOD turbo kit that runs off both sides of the exhaust instead of one and that'll bring that turbo lag WAY down. really i have no problem believing thats a stock setup on that car, turbo's are better.
Really that is one of the biggest noob comments I have ever heard. Have you ever evened owned a Turbo vehicle? A Supercharged vehicle? Or do you get all your info from reading message boards on the internet? Are you a internet racer? [sm=smiley36.gif] There is no clear cut and dry answer to what is better. If turbocharging truly was the best route to go, superchargers would no longer exist. Truth is, both of them have their draw backs and anyone who has owned both types of FI would know this.

Many people on this forum in particular discredit what a supercharged 5.0 can seriously do. Hell, you give a link to a turbo kit that the distributer says has a maximum HP output of 600hp on their stage one kit that costs what? $4500? Do you realize that the bottom end $2500 Vortech S-trim kit has made well over 600hp to the tire MANY times on a 302? (built of course) Not only that but they have also put MANY vehicles well into the 10sec 1/4 range and several into the 9's. This is a entry level supercharger btw. To say a turbo will over power any supercharger is just silly. The sky is the limit on any setup when done right.

And yes, I do believe those numbers on HP Performance are skewed. For one they are saying those numbers are achieved by correcting them at 6,000 feet. But yet they are only at 3,500 elevation. Boosted cars naturally make more power at higher elevation. Hell, I am only at 500ft elevation, corrected to 6,000 my numbers should be over 600 right? Definitions of stock long blocks are usually different amongst people as well.

Like I said before, BOTH systems have their ups and downs, BOTH systems will put a smile to anyones face. What I say to everyone that it is interested in FI and can't decide how to go, ride in both types of cars, feel how the power comes on, listen to how they sound, look at how they look, etc. See for yourself which one you like better. After all, it simply comes down to a matter of preference. There is no right or wrong answer to the question.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:45 AM
redpony88
4th Gear Member

Really that is one of the biggest noob comments I have ever heard. Have you ever evened owned a Turbo vehicle? A Supercharged vehicle? Or do you get all your info from reading message boards on the internet? Are you a internet racer? [sm=smiley36.gif] There is no clear cut and dry answer to what is better. If turbocharging truly was the best route to go, superchargers would no longer exist. Truth is, both of them have their draw backs and anyone who has owned both types of FI would know this.

Many people on this forum in particular discredit what a supercharged 5.0 can seriously do. Hell, you give a link to a turbo kit that the distributer says has a maximum HP output of 600hp on their stage one kit that costs what? $4500? Do you realize that the bottom end $2500 Vortech S-trim kit has made well over 600hp to the tire MANY times on a 302? (built of course) Not only that but they have also put MANY vehicles well into the 10sec 1/4 range and several into the 9's. This is a entry level supercharger btw. To say a turbo will over power any supercharger is just silly. The sky is the limit on any setup when done right.

And yes, I do believe those numbers on HP Performance are skewed. For one they are saying those numbers are achieved by correcting them at 6,000 feet. But yet they are only at 3,500 elevation? What did they do, dyno the car on top of a mountain in NM? Definitions of stock long blocks are usually different amongst people as well.

Like I said before, BOTH systems have their ups and downs, BOTH systems will put a smile to anyones face. What I say to everyone that it is interested in FI and can't decide how to go, ride in both types of cars, feel how the power comes on, listen to how they sound, look at how they look, etc. See for yourself which one you like better. After all, it simply comes down to a matter of preference. There is no right or wrong answer to the question.

haha way to be an ***, but. i've been in a turbo'd stang and there was practically NO spool time cause it was a single kit running on both headers.... think about it mustangs have more cubes than little ricers who take awhile to sppol up a turbo, we have at least doubble the exhaust output. so, check your statements before you try and talk crap to me
Old 07-04-2008, 12:13 PM
OneFastEclipse
3rd Gear Member

haha way to be an ***, but. i've been in a turbo'd stang and there was practically NO spool time cause it was a single kit running on both headers.... think about it mustangs have more cubes than little ricers who take awhile to sppol up a turbo, we have at least doubble the exhaust output. so, check your statements before you try and talk crap to me
Again, you're making little sense.... "Been in" and "owned, built, maintained" are pretty big differences. Find me a mustang running around with the same size turbo that the "little ricers" are running around on and what your saying "might" be true. Then again, the mustang wouldn't be making 500-600 hp either.... Stop trying to argue what you don't know....
Old 07-04-2008, 12:36 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

I looked at his website and didn't see anything impressive jump out at me right away, maybe i need to poke around more. All I was saying is that I've never seen someone bolt on a supercharger kit to a stock headed 5.0 and make 430whp. Turbos make more power which is why the kits are a lot more expensive. Superchargers are obviously still a favorite to many hence why the kits are still being produced.

I wouldn't say I know NOTHING about this topic, but I'm not going to lie and say I have a ton of first hand experience either. I'm just calling it like I see it. You don't need to come on here being a dick regardless, you are the one using an Eclipse name on a Mustang forum.

Quick Reply: supercharger or turbo?