5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

supercharger or turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 04:31 PM
OneFastEclipse
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: supercharger or turbo?

HeHe, that's how you learn right? Trial and error. You don't learn things by studying a car forum. You got to get out there, get your hands in it and get dirty. 90% of what I know is from just pissing around with stuff. You live and you learn from your mistakes. I know I've made a few!

I once thought it would be a good idea to use a intercooler of a MKIV Supra for my setup pushing 22-24lbs of boost. Needless to say, the plastic end tank lasted me all of ten minutes and left me limping home at about 10 miles per hour. [:@]
Old 07-07-2008, 04:48 PM
SpecterGT260
5th Gear Member

its been my experience that anyone that has to ask this question usually doesnt have the means by which to accomplish either.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:53 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: OneFastEclipse
I once thought it would be a good idea to use a intercooler of a MKIV Supra for my setup pushing 22-24lbs of boost. Needless to say, the plastic end tank lasted me all of ten minutes and left me limping home at about 10 miles per hour. [:@]
ew luckily worst i've had on the pressure side was a hose blowing off. Then I found out that tbolt clamps are the way to go on f/i those worm type hose clamps suck for holding pressure. I've ran up to 32psi on one setup with them with no problem.
ORIGINAL: SpecterGT260
its been my experience that anyone that has to ask this question usually doesnt have the means by which to accomplish either.
Gotta start somewhere. My first setup I asked probably 50 questions during it. The first kit is generally where you figure most of it out, the do's & don'ts. I knew absolutely nothing about f/i when I was attempting my first kit. It took me like a month & some change to complete. [sm=smiley36.gif]
I really don't think they're very hard in the least to make. I think the biggest thing was I questioned EVERYTHING, even down to the oil feed line, like I was sure it was going to fail.

They're actually alot simpler than most people think it's just more time consuming than anything. Once you got a decent turbo size for what you need, everything else is easy to get work. The more difficult part if when you're aiming for max efficiency, but no sweat there; most major turbo companies you hear about for the mustangs still aren't really great in that area. [8D] I know someone that bought a cartech kit a few years ago, then decided to make his own piping & gained around 40hp out of it + got a 300rpm lower spool time. Just because they sell lots of kits doesn't mean they have a perfect or even near perfect design. That's one reason why I prefer building my own kits over buying one, they cost too much for what they are.
Anyone that can do even a little research about how lower temps effect exhaust velocity & knows that sharp angles hurt flow can generally build a kit that will perform right along with the kits that most companies make.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:57 AM
OneFastEclipse
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FoxGT

ew luckily worst i've had on the pressure side was a hose blowing off. Then I found out that tbolt clamps are the way to go on f/i those worm type hose clamps suck for holding pressure. I've ran up to 32psi on one setup with them with no problem.

That's what I was hoping it was. I got out of the car with my ratchet on the side of the highway, layed down to put the hose back on and tighten it up only to find the whole lower end tank was blown off. Nothing I could do about it at that point lol.

Alot of guys that run that intercooler remove the lower end tank and flip it to get it to fit right, so I sold it on ebay advertised as the lower end tank has already been removed ready to flip. haha.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:47 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

That's what I was hoping it was. I got out of the car with my ratchet on the side of the highway, layed down to put the hose back on and tighten it up only to find the whole lower end tank was blown off. Nothing I could do about it at that point lol.

Alot of guys that run that intercooler remove the lower end tank and flip it to get it to fit right, so I sold it on ebay advertised as the lower end tank has already been removed ready to flip. haha.
[8D]
I generally make my end tanks. Find diesel intercoolers, hack them up, & make the tanks. Cheap, decent sized intercooler. I actually managed to fit a huge 32" x 22" x 3" (core size alone) intercooler in my $2k project car. The object was to build a car that would run under 8's in the 1/8th with under $2k. So far I've only spent $1k for a running turbocharged efi car, that's including car cost aswell.

Old 07-08-2008, 02:26 PM
OneFastEclipse
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FoxGT
[8D]
I generally make my end tanks. Find diesel intercoolers, hack them up, & make the tanks. Cheap, decent sized intercooler. I actually managed to fit a huge 32" x 22" x 3" (core size alone) intercooler in my $2k project car. The object was to build a car that would run under 8's in the 1/8th with under $2k. So far I've only spent $1k for a running turbocharged efi car, that's including car cost aswell.

Very nice. Junk yards are a beautiful thing. I always love to rummage through a junk yard finding useful parts. If you have in home welding capabilities, your possibilities and money savings are endless.