5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Next Logical Upgrade????

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 05:56 PM
cheetha94607
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Next Logical Upgrade????

sorry about the delay what about the cam would cost around what you are trying to spend if you do it yourself. but i would belive that your throttlebody would be holding some power back if stock with the vortech. so at this point i would say throttlebody,cam,or intake.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:24 PM
86whitepony
2nd Gear Member

injectors, tires and some springs
Old 07-15-2008, 06:38 PM
Scout2232
4th Gear Member

If I were in your shoes, I would go with:

-Larger throttle body and EGR spacer(70mm+)
-Aftermarket intake manifold
and/or
-Larger injectors
-Larger mass air meter (75mm+)

I would buy them in those pairs though since they compliment each other, if not, buyall at the same time. One without the other will cause problems.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:41 PM
chandlers302

injectors ,cam, upper/lower intake,maf,egr,and throttle body.just my thoughts haha,but iam suprised at the supercharger without bigger 42l inj and a bigger fuel pump???
Old 07-15-2008, 08:54 PM
redpony88
4th Gear Member

HCI FTW. injectors, large MAF calibrated for the injectors, t/b matched to the new intake, cause putting a larger t/b is pointless if the opening on the intake isnt the same size, it all has to bttle neck into the smaller port
Old 07-16-2008, 05:24 PM
Scout2232
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: redpony88

HCI FTW. injectors, large MAF calibrated for the injectors, t/b matched to the new intake, cause putting a larger t/b is pointless if the opening on the intake isnt the same size, it all has to bttle neck into the smaller port
Well not only that but its going to cause air turbulance too sincethe airgoing through is goingto hit that "lip". Which is what I meant by one without the other is going to cause problems. And as far as injectors and mass air meters go, if you don't "match" them then you are going to have drivability problems. Not picking on what you were saying, but just clarifyingmy suggestion earlier.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:48 PM
vogs77
1st Gear Member

I cant afford to do everything at once, so I am going to look to do the next logical step in performance. If a larger throtle body andegr plate will helpa little bit and will obviously be benifical in the future then I will start there. Or would it be better to buy a new upper and lower intake and stay with stock throtle body for now. I understand the whole bottle neck with air flow, but like I said money doesnt grow on trees in Hopewell Twp, PA. Trying to do this in steps. Still running stock injectors with mass air. Someone said that the mass air can be recalibrated for larger injectors, is this true and how???
Old 07-17-2008, 05:24 PM
Scout2232
4th Gear Member

It would be better to buy an aftermarket upper/lower intake manifold before you bought the throttle body and EGR spacer.

As for your question about mass air meter and calibrating it for injectors, you can either:

-Buy a C&L Mass air meter housing kit, it includes the meter and an elbow leading to the throttle body. It 'calibrates' by using different sized sample tubes with your stock meter's electronicsfor different sized injectors. So if you are switching injectors alot or whatever you can just keep buying and changing the sample tubes which are like 30 bucks per tube. A lot of people hate C&L meters and complain about this and that with em. I run one with no problems to speak of. I had to have my car dyno tuned and I had asked the people that were going to tune the car which meter they prefered and they wanted that one, so that's what I got.

-Buy a PRO-M/PMAS meter. This is the one that everyone seems to praise and go with. These meters are bought and they are pre-calibrated for a certain injector size. If you need to change injectors you either need tobuy a new meter or send yoursoff to have it recalibrated for a feeplus shipping costs both ways. I also had one of these, and when I switched from it to the C&L one I noticed zero difference. I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either of the 2. The tunerbasically made my choice for me. I think Summit and Granatelli brand metersare essentially the same as these meters, but I have never used one.

The only thing I would worry about when changing meters and injectors, no matter what ends up happening it always seems that you are going to need to have it dyno tuned. So keep that in mind also. My dyno tune wasn't cheap, most aren't this expensive but I paid something like 800 bucks for mine (chip cost included)

So yea, if you were to buy anything I would go with a new upper/lower intake manifold. Popular ones seem to be Trickflow Track/Street heats, Holley Systemax, Professional Products Typhoon, Edelbrock RPM/RPM II, and GT-40.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:17 PM
redpony88
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Scout2232

ORIGINAL: redpony88

Well not only that but its going to cause air turbulance too sincethe airgoing through is goingto hit that "lip". Which is what I meant by one without the other is going to cause problems. And as far as injectors and mass air meters go, if you don't "match" them then you are going to have drivability problems. Not picking on what you were saying, but just clarifyingmy suggestion earlier.
i know what you're saying, i which is why i said it would be pointless to buy the t/b and egr if there was that lip. also why i said a maf calibrated for the injectors depending on what size you get, i thought i put in the stuff about the c&l but it must have been another post. sry if i leave things like that out, working all day in the shop here in tx in mid 90* heat can take it out of ya.

but i went with hci, then i upgraded and matched my t/b and egr afterwards along with injectors and maf