5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

m112 on 5.0 good idea??

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 09:39 PM
blackmustang98_
2nd Gear Member

Default m112 on 5.0 good idea??

hey guys i am doing a project this summer and i am puttin a 5.0 on my v6, and i want to install a used m112 off a cobra or lightening.
Is it a good idea? i just want it to have some fun on the hwys since its my daily driver. i want to make some power but i dont really think of going to the track. so what do you guys think?
i was going to get a m90 but people told me it wouldnt be able to feed the 5.0 and that it was for a v6.
So m112 its good for a 5.0???

please dont say get a kennebell or procharger because i cant afford it.

Thanks
Old 07-06-2008, 09:52 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Default RE: m112 on 5.0 good idea??

If you have to ask us... you dont have the knowledge or the money to do the job.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:56 PM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

uhh how are you going to mount it?
Old 07-06-2008, 10:18 PM
notchbackmatt87
3rd Gear Member

i wish they would make a upper intake so we could mount those on the 5.0s that would be so cool. its been done a guy buy my house dose it. its a very expensive process and you need to have alot of patience
Old 07-06-2008, 10:32 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

Like the others have said it's work to get one to work on a 5.0 and by the time you're said and done you'd be better off with a blower made for the car. M112s aren't that great as far as superchargers go anyways.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:42 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

If you're going to be around or below 400whp an m90 would be better for you. If you're going 450 or higher the m112 is the better bet. Most people say the m90 won't work because it came off of a v6. The stock m90 is good to about 400 then efficiency starts to drop off pretty quick. Porting the case helps quite a bit. The m90 is a better design than the m112 when comparing efficiency due to the long rotor length of the m112, but m112 can move more air.

Cost is going to be $500-$1500 depending on the setup you use. Could be higher if you go with top of the line parts & if you decide to go intercooled or not. (you could go with a front mount aswell)

Anyway. First off, roots superchargers aswell as twin screw's do NOT have to be mounted on the intake. Most cars you see have them mounted there & run a shorter intake because it's the best place to mount them as far as space, roots superchargers generally have a pretty beefy case so mounting it on either side would make it hard to work on the engine. Another upside to mounting them is because the further the throttle body is away the slower the throttle response. With the supercharger even with quite a bit of intake length, throttle response is still pretty snappy.
A good example of that would be the thunderbird supercoupe. They mount their supercharger on top of the engine for space purposes, but it doesn't force air directly into the lower, the supercharger oulet is actually facing up, then there is plumbing going to a front mount intercooler, then from there back to the intake. Even with the fmic, throttle response is still very quick.

Where you locate it is kind of limited to your intake you're running. Obviously you have more room to work with with a smaller upper. With a stock intake or similar you're kind of limited to around the drivers side valve cover or passenger side. The passenger side is probably the better bet if you're running something with the same design (shape wise) as the stock intake.

Another thing to consider is whether or not you're going to run it on the serpentine belt & use a longer belt or are you going to have a separate crank pulley for it. The m90 has an 8 rib pulley stock so if you're going to use the stock belt you're going to have to swap it for a 6 rib.

If you use the serp belt you're going to have to make a bracket to relocate the alternator either lower or ditch the a/c & mount it where the a/c was. I personally would recommend getting rid of the a/c & smog, then moving the alternator to a/c position, that way you get a near 270 degree wrap around the pulley.

If you use a separate belt for it you'll just have to move the alternator over a little bit to make room for the s/c. the downfall to this setup is crank pulley cost. You can get a lightning truck pulley from a salvage yard if you're lucky. Or buy one from a company. (they're generally around $200-$400)

Both setups have their downsides obviously. With the serpentine belt setup You're going to either have to cut the strut tower to clear the case or modify the passenger side valve cover so you can move it up.

The other alternative is to mount the supercharger backwards to where the inlet is facing the front of the car rather than the rear, this setup will require using a jackshaft & probably won't require moving much of anything. Again you have to try to get as much wrap around the front pulley as possible, but you'll have to run a small belt for the rear pulley of the jackshaft to the supercharger pulley. Downside to this setup is you have to pay for the pulleys & have a shaft/housing machined to run two bearings in it. Then the obvious extra belt cost
Those are your options...

My last m90 kit for a 5.0 was passenger valve cover mounted running on the serpentine belt (to keep cost as low as possible). Valve cover modification was needed. I used two drivers side valve covers & cut a hole in the rear to relocate the oil fill location to the rear of the valve cover instead of the front. The pulley was changed to 6 rib (they're pretty easy to find). Alternator was moved to the a/c compressor location. This setup was done with the stock 5.0 upper & lower intake. The cost was around $900-$1000, but this setup was done with a megasquirt stand alone & wideband o2 factored into the cost. The mass air was ditched for a speed density setup since it had a standalone. The brackets were made from steel pieces of metal I had laying around.

btw the throttle body has to be relocated to BEFORE the supercharger. It's not hard to do in the least, but it will require a longer throttle cable (i use bicycle brake cable)

You can install a butterfly style bypass valve on it aswell, this will reduce power consumption of the supercharger to 0-2hp at cruise for better fuel economy. The valve will go by the supercharger inlet & outlet to equalize pressure while cruising. twin screw & centri's cant do that & that's the reason why the roots is my favorite supercharger. You can add power with no noticable hit in fuel economy.

Also if you want to be noticed you can have the sound slits welded shut. It's only good for 5-10hp, but it makes the supercharger quite a bit louder when at wot. I never do that myself for any of mine though, I have a shop do it because i'm paranoid... too much heat can warp the case. My aluminum welding definitely isn't the best thing on the planet If you're pretty good with working with aluminum, you can do it yourself.