5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

average machine shop cost????

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 06:11 PM
FLcracker9
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: average machine shop cost????

ORIGINAL: 1995mustang818

my local machine shop charges about 700 too 800 for the short block
That's pretty cheap!. What parts are they using, cast pistons, hypereutectic, it certanly can't beforged?. My machine work alone cost that much?.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:13 PM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

I paid 976 for machine work and balancing on my stroker, I assembled everything myself.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:31 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: woodsy

ORIGINAL: aode08

The only time you should have a machine shop assemble your engine, is when you want it blueprinted.

They tend to have very little time on thier hands.
ya very little time, because they ARE building the engines.
most around here are honing, boring,gringing, milling, drilling, welding, balancing, decking, and heli coils, . You tell them ASSemble, and wow, $900+ and a long wait is in store for you.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:25 AM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FLcracker9

A lot!. Shop labor is expensive, and with the cost of everything going up, I don't blame them. I rebuilt my 300 six a while back, and the machine work alone was over $900 (block, crank and heads). I pressed the pistons on myself, and assembled the motor myself. In the long run, a short block would have been cheaper. The only good thing about doing it myself is the satisfaction that it runs great, and I did it myself, but sometimes pride gets in the way of logic. My next short block will be from Fordstrokers.com
you all are talking about the stroker kit:
http://fordstrokers.com/347-stroker-...-kits-c55.html
not the entire short block:
http://fordstrokers.com/347-liberato...lock-p153.html
correct?
Old 07-09-2008, 08:42 AM
woodsy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: woodsy

The only time you should have a machine shop assemble your engine, is when you want it blueprinted.

They tend to have very little time on thier hands.
ya very little time, because they ARE building the engines.
most around here are honing, boring,gringing, milling, drilling, welding, balancing, decking, and heli coils, . You tell them ASSemble, and wow, $900+ and a long wait is in store for you.
yep we are doign the same 7 days a week, BUT I assemble them all, far too many issue can arise. I mean if a shop is going through all the trouble of mocking up the short 2-3 times to make corrections to bearing clearances, thrust clearances, deck height, notching etc etc. I see it as crazy not to assemble, I will feel a whole lot better, I guarantee I sell alot of short blocks to guys who couldnt put legos together let alone an engine. BUT I bet alot of shops are not doing what I mention above. I just re-did a 347 short block for a local guy, never ran, got it from another local shop and man what a disaster. Piston .018 in the hole, deck way out of wack, .009-.012 rod bearing clearances, rings not filed for a 200 shot nitrous motor, all the good stuff
Old 07-09-2008, 05:27 PM
FLcracker9
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LesteR723

ORIGINAL: FLcracker9

A lot!. Shop labor is expensive, andwith the cost of everything going up, I don't blame them. I rebuilt my 300 six a while back, and the machine work alone was over$900 (block, crank and heads). I pressedthe pistons on myself, and assembled the motor myself. In the long run, a short block would have been cheaper. The only good thing about doing it myselfis thesatisfaction that it runs great, and I did it myself, but sometimes pride gets in the way oflogic. My next short block will be from Fordstrokers.com
you all are talking about the stroker kit:
http://fordstrokers.com/347-stroker-...-kits-c55.html
not the entire short block:
http://fordstrokers.com/347-liberato...lock-p153.html
correct?
No, I'm talking about the whole short block assembly. Like Woodsy said, there aren'tmany shops that will go into the detail that should be done to assemble one correctly, plus he stands behind his work. If you were able to get the same product from a local shop, it would cost you hundreds more.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:12 PM
woodsy
3rd Gear Member

Here is a customers block that was "machined only" by a shop local to him, they swore up and down they have built ford strokers, Ummm ya obviously not.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:44 PM
jtmustang
5th Gear Member

^^^^wow thats f'd up
Old 07-10-2008, 11:35 AM
jssblues
2nd Gear Member

damn that is ****ed up, where did you get that picture????
Old 07-10-2008, 12:10 PM
woodsy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jssblues

damn that is ****ed up, where did you get that picture????
I got a dozen of them, its from a customer that bought a stroker kit from me, he was worried they made a mistake

Quick Reply: average machine shop cost????