5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Bypassing the heater core

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 04:25 PM
tncruiser
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Bypassing the heater core

instead of pumping the heater core just put an air chuck in one side and it will evacuate thru the other end , a short hose could be used temporaly to divert it away from critical engine parts
Old 07-08-2008, 04:38 PM
redpony88
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Projectquick

ORIGINAL: redpony88

ORIGINAL: Projectquick

The theory behind that would be heating the air charge right?
yes, but there really isnt a use for it, plenty of people just delete the egr and then you dont even have the passages for it and you just cap off the lines
So just remove the EGR and bolt the TB directly to the intake?
And that question above is for 88TTOP
you're gonna need to get one of these, that way you still have the mount for the throttle cable and dont have to fab something up [:@]
Old 07-08-2008, 04:46 PM
Projectquick
5th Gear Member

Ah, I completely forgot about the throttle cable. So for right now I'm just going to bypass the whole damn rail and just run a hose to both of the ports on the water pump.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:48 PM
redpony88
4th Gear Member

sounds good
Old 07-08-2008, 04:53 PM
5.0Thunder

with my thunderbird, i just put some newspaper on the floormats, and connected a hose on the 2 pieces coming out of the engine, then left the heater core alone. that was temporary until i got it fixed but it worked just fine.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:03 PM
Projectquick
5th Gear Member

The thing is I don't plan on fixing it because there is no need, the car won't be out long enough to need heat. After a closer look the one rail connects to the water pump using some metal fitting that is screwed into the pump itself. Until I find something to screw in there and stop the flow I'm going to just bypass the heater, and disconnect the hoses from the EGR. The hose on the back of the EGR looks like it goes down into the block, so until I can get all the way back there should I just plug the hose? Can I disconnect the two hoses from the EGR and just leave the two ports on the EGR itself open until I get the plate?
Old 07-08-2008, 06:08 PM
brentloftis
2nd Gear Member

Look, it is 5- 10 min job, pay the 2$ at auto part store for the bypass fitting. Loosen the clamps at the heater core and pull them off, plug hoses into the bypass tube, tighten the clamps and be done...... in fact if you take the car to the auto part store, I bet one of the guys will do it for you.... not exactly rocket science....
Old 07-08-2008, 06:23 PM
Projectquick
5th Gear Member

Okay, first pull the dick out of your ***, second I was asking about the EGR and bypassing the rails, if you have nothing to contribute, don't post.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:27 PM
brentloftis
2nd Gear Member

Wow, you blow your father with that mouth...... secondly, look up what EGR stands for as far as the big tube running down to the block......... good luck
Old 07-08-2008, 06:34 PM
Projectquick
5th Gear Member

I know what EGR stands for, exhaust gas recirculator, but if you look into getting an aftermarket intake manifold, they all refer to it as the EGR, so I will. Like I said before, I had two or three specific questions and if you can't answer them don't post.

Quick Reply: Bypassing the heater core