5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 02:59 PM
tkwhitestang

Default Help!!!

so here is my problem. i was driving over to a buddies house and my low coolant light came on as i pulled down his street. my car's temp started to rise and when i pulled up to his house my car was close to the red mark. i shut off the car and popped the hood and smoke piled out. i looked down and coolant was all over. we let the car cool down and put some back in and it came right back out. so i took it back to my house (not letting the car get to hot) and put it on a pressure tester. it would not build up any pressure and i saw where the leak is. if you look at the water pump from the front of the car the leak is behind the bolt that is at about the 1 o'clock postition and about an inch and a half back. i felt it and it was like at where a gasket should be. what is that piece that the water pump bolts onto. i beleive that would be my problem. any help would be great. thanks a lot
Old 07-09-2008, 03:07 PM
ewgoetz
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Help!!!

That would be the timing chain cover.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:12 PM
tkwhitestang

ok, so how much do you think that would cost to get done at a shop.should i get a new cover or just get a gasket. thanks
Old 07-09-2008, 03:28 PM
jssblues
2nd Gear Member

why go to a shop, fix it yourself much cheaper and not that hard
Old 07-09-2008, 03:31 PM
tkwhitestang

ok. i will probly do it myself but what do you think a shop will charge and how much would the parts be.