5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Longtube Installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 12:12 AM
1970coupe
3rd Gear Member

Default Longtube Installation

How much of a pain in the *** is it to install full lengthlongtube headers on a 95 5.0 mustang and is it worth the money and labor to get those over the shorties or will they make minimal diffrence in hp/torq gain?
I am looking at bbk's site and it says that you have to unbolt the motor mounts and hoist the motor up on each side with a jackto install the headers.
That seems like a pain in the *** for the extra 150 bucks and 10+ hp.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:25 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Longtube Installation

I personally would never run them again after having to replace two clutches with some installed. Some people love them, some people hate them. Some brands may be different. I know on the two types i've delt with, getting the starter unbolted & off isn't too much fun.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:49 AM
Tberg725
3rd Gear Member

Correct you have to unbolt the motor mounts and jack the motor up, personally I don't think they are that big of a pain to install if you know how to do it.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:02 AM
LTnone
4th Gear Member

They aren't hard at all. I put BBKs in a while back, just unbolted the mounts, jacked the engine up a little bit, and slid em in. One (driver's side, IIRC) drops in from the top, the other comes up from the bottom. Buddy and I did it in maybe an hour give or take. They shouldn't be causing clutch problems, and they're definitely worth the extra $$$.

Edit: don't ask my why I have a million apostrophes in my post... they won't go away.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:25 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LTnone

They aren't hard at all. I put BBKs in a while back, just unbolted the mounts, jacked the engine up a little bit, and slid em in. One (driver's side, IIRC) drops in from the top, the other comes up from the bottom. Buddy and I did it in maybe an hour give or take. They shouldn't be causing clutch problems, and they're definitely worth the extra $$$.

Edit: don't ask my why I have a million apostrophes in my post... they won't go away.
i believe he meant that it is a pain in the *** to install a new clutch with the LTs installed.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:42 PM
LTnone
4th Gear Member

Yep... probably. I can picture that a lot more readily.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:48 PM
nseoi
4th Gear Member

i havnt had to replace my clutch after i did my longtubes but im sure the only thing i will have to do would be loosen them up at the heads, not a big deal. the midpipe needs to be removed either way and it is easier to remove with longtubes so you win a little and you lose a little.

longtubes are the funk diggity
Old 07-11-2008, 04:45 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

Yeah i didn't mean the clutch went bad because of the long tubes[8D]

Basically what I was getting at is the downside to them is if you have to take it off, you'll have to unbolt the header (some designs you may not have to) If you don't have to get down there then they're a good option.
Keep in mind I'm a person that has done 7 transmission swaps.... [8D] None of the transmissions went bad, it's just a preference thing... I drive with a 5 spd for a while, I get bored & want to switch back to auto & vise versa. With shorties that makes it a 2-3 hour swap, but I don't have to unbolt anything on the engine.

The long tubes went after the 2nd time of having to work with something down there. They're good if you don't have to get down there. I plan on switching to some on my '96, but i wont on my '89.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:24 PM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

im going to be putting a set of accufabs in my 95 nect weekend, i got a guy with a 95 that has longs to help me, so i will let you know.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:10 PM
1970coupe
3rd Gear Member

ok sounds great! Should i go with mac orbbk or are they about the same in quality and fit?

Quick Reply: Longtube Installation