5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

a/c and smog removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 10:24 PM
southern4life_99
1st Gear Member

Default a/c and smog removal

I know everyone probably was like oh god, when they saw that title but I have a question that I haven seen an answer for yet. I have seen in catalogs this bracket to relocate the p/s pump after you remove the a/c and smog. Does anyone have a picture of this bracket and is it a MUST? I want to completely remove both and am wondering if the bracket is something I can go to lowes and get some flat iron and make myself. If anyone can post a decent pic of that bracket it would be greatly appreciated. Also what size belt would I have to get from autozone after they are removed. I have seen that one website for belt sizes and layouts but it wont load for me . Thanks for any help.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:27 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

Default RE: a/c and smog removal

what u refer to is the 2 pieces that are used on a factory non ac car.

eliminating the smog has nothing to do w/ it, but changing the radii of the belt turns on the lt side is kind of important

call total performance in clinton twp mi, that kit is about $30 so no reason not to do it. it can be hard ont he accessories if you don't. the idler pulley is more and has some parasitic effects in itself

it is a ford motorsport part, but like i said.. factory ford parts for non ac cars, someone has pics... just recently saw some posted, it's a good kit, don't worry about the idler pulley for the smog though.. that angle is ok as long as the belt is just right
Old 07-13-2008, 10:14 AM
southern4life_99
1st Gear Member

Default RE: a/c and smog removal

Bob, thanks for the quick reply, but this one line has me confussed (dont know if it is due to lack of sleep thanks to my dog or what): but changing the radii of the belt turns on the lt side is kind of important <~~~? Im sure its probably simple and my brain just is not wrapping around it.

I wont even going to mess with getting the "delete" pulley for the smog, seems like it would defeat the purpose of removing it from the setup anyways. My biggest thing is could I make the bracket for the p/s myself and save some $ since it is so tight right now lincon is crying on my pennies now cause i am squeezing them so tight.

With all that being said, if anyone could post the pic of the bracket and knows the size of the belt, many thanks and hopefully before long I will sell my other car and get this ol pony the way she wants to be.