5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

burning oil, smoke

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 06:54 PM
vogs77
1st Gear Member

Default burning oil, smoke

I just bough my 86 with 23000 miles on it and I knew it was burning oil when I bought it. It obviously sat a great deal of time in its life. Some of the smoke has cleared up. I have replaced the pcv valve and filter in the intake before it. At idle there is no smoke. If you hold the rpm around 2k it starts to smoke, not horrible but it is there. Then if you hit the throtle from there you get a good cloud of smoke out of it. This is with no load on the motor in the garage. Under load while driving you can see it in the mirror also. It has cleared up a lot from when I bought it, 2 oil changes and about 500 miles on it now. Does this sound like stuck oil rings in the pistons. And if so is there any cleaners out there that may help free them up. I dont want to do a rebuild at this time, spent the money on the car. It doesnt effect the driveability at this time, but it is annoying and embarasing to someone who knows anything about cars. Thanks
Old 07-15-2008, 01:42 PM
Ryan5.0
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: burning oil, smoke

I am having the same problems. My car sat for about 5 years before being resurrected by the previous owner. My compression is good and the car runs and drives great and has plenty of power. I suspect the oil ringshave gone bad from sitting. I have not been able to find any sort of cleaner or advice to help with the problem other than being told to rebuild it.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:06 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

you have a supercharger on it depending on how it is lubricated the supercharger may need a rebuild...how old is the supercharger..also may have dried out/split valve seals from sitting so long and rings may he gummed up and stuck in place
Old 07-15-2008, 05:49 PM
vogs77
1st Gear Member

I thought of the charger also, but when I removed the pipe between the charger and the throtle body, there was no oil. Dry as can be. If it was blowing past the seals I would see it in there. I am sure that the valve seals are leaking a little bit, there is a small amount of blue smoke on a cold start, this usually means bad seals. I have seen bad valve seals on many cars being a mechanic, but the smoke usually clears up after a short warm up. I am pretty sure that the oil rings are sticking, but was hoping that there was a cleaner that would help to free them up. I know that the correct way to fix this is with a rebuld, just cant do it for a couple of years, not in the budget. Pay off car then build the motor. So like I said if anyone has tried any type of cleaner that even helped a little bit feel free to let me know about it. thanks again
Old 07-15-2008, 05:52 PM
interceptorstang

I have the same issue too. I have another thread, and was thinking drain down holes in the head. rings could be too. I wish someone could give us some definite answers.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:25 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: interceptorstang

I have the same issue too. I have another thread, and was thinking drain down holes in the head. rings could be too. I wish someone could give us some definite answers.
nobody can give definate answers on such unless you perform the proper test and checks to confirm diagnosis.....we can't work on the car over the internet and ever be 100 percent accurate on such a prob
Old 07-16-2008, 05:49 PM
interceptorstang

I will tell you what I just found on mine, and see if this helps you out. After driving and letting it set for 1/2 hour, i checked the oil, 1 quart low. 2 hours later, full. I am pretty sure we both have bad valve guides, but I am going to be pulling the valve covers and checking the oil drain down holes in the heads. I am fairly confident they are plugged, maybe something to check for you too.

I know how frustrating it can be when noone seems to offer any real assistance, so just doing my best to help you out, as well as myself. It's not like i am looking for "someone to work on it over the internet", just like you, looking for ideas.

In fact this will be my last post on this God forsaken "tech" forum. 14 second cars and no help is not what I am looking for. I have seen nothing but jerks, airheads, and the self inflated giving unrelated answers to guys who are just bouncing ideas around. I guess, looking back, I should have expected this as the guys who drove these cars in H.S. were a-holes who had mommy and daddy buy their cars, while the real gear heads struggled just to keep our junk on the road daily. So basically, screw the most of you, and I hope the Moderator cancels my user name so someother poor sap can have it....Amen.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:42 PM
vogs77
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the input, I will check my oil level and let it sit fora little bit and recheck it. A very good possibility, I am open to anything to try. Looking for possible causes not hard core answers. I am new to this forum and new to my mustang so any help and suggestionsis greatly appreciated from everyone. Thanks