5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

ordering my 9" help me out with suspension

Old 07-15-2008, 04:55 PM
Pearlkobra12
2nd Gear Member

Default ordering my 9" help me out with suspension

Alright guys for those that helped...i decided to with a 9". pretty built to strange housing, strange 35 spline axles, strange center w/ detroit locker . strange's budget drag disk brakes. Couple of things i need help with though before i order. What gears would u go with? This car just puddles around town. nothin higher than 55 in town. I want a set that can be my drag/city gears. my dad has a center section with stock highway gears in it for if i want to bring it a long distance. What gear ratio should i go with?
question two. being im spending this much money i figured i better get some new control arms. I want my uppers to be adjustable. IT IS A MUST. my lowers i was debating between traction bars or just regular aftermarket control arms. i saw jegs has their "jegster" traction bar that actually sits on your rear. gotta look at it to understand. What do you think i should do for control arms? considering shocks/struts to. nothin spendy though. these wont stay on long.

Gears w/ brand

Upper control arms

Lower control arms

Rear Shocks/struts

thanks in advanced guys. helpin me out quite a bit here
Old 07-15-2008, 09:34 PM
Pearlkobra12
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: ordering my 9" help me out with suspension

ik someone on here has an idea. thanks, nathan
Old 07-15-2008, 10:09 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

there is no point in spending that much money on a rear end... you arent making thousands of HP... just do a 31 spline 8.8" build.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:19 PM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

if you are keeping stock-type rear suspension I will list my plan that I have partially completed, perhaps if nothing else you can use it to compare?
Please keep in mind that my goal is only mild +-400hp crank daily driver capable bracket-racing or drag strip fun car that will be driven weekends and occasions. 35 spline is huge dont know what your

For my 1991 notch I have:
Moser 9" rear with the companys 7700 axle ends
welded quad shock brackets onto housing
28 spline open diff with 3.0:1 gears, easliy changable to
28 spline detroit locker with used richmond 3.89.1 gears (currently in '67)
stock fox 4 lug rear drums
steeda 2.5" arp manufactured wheel studs
curries upper control arms that adjust AND PIVOT the johnny joint units, edlebrock sells a similar, but lesser set.
Part #: CE-7005C
Currectrac® adjustable length upper control arms for use on all 1978-2004 Ford Fox body/Mustang cars. Units feature adjustability without having to have either end removed from the vehicle via a "turnbuckle" design, and the housing end of the arm features Currie's Johnny Joint® urethane bushed rod end that allows for 30 degrees of overall travel. This joint is fully greasable and rebuildable.
I highly recommend these units.
am in process of-
-Rear Disc: I have 1.999 complete kits for rear disc: 1 complete tbird turbocoupe and also have complete SSBC kit with correct offset, I will eventually set up both my foxes with these modest rear discs
-strange adjustible shocks, more important in front, you could use the lakewood drag shocks but they are just 50/50, but high quality.
-adjustible (height) lower control arms either granatelli, MM, or steeda (priced cheapest to most expensive) if you want tall slicks for a change you can jack up the front, either way they are all strong good units you dont have to adjust them but you have the option.
-aluminum FRPP driveshaft and saftey loop, req at strip when use slicks!!

Old 07-15-2008, 10:27 PM
306stang
2nd Gear Member

http://chassisengineering.com/shopDe...ProductId=1393

There ya go
Old 07-15-2008, 10:32 PM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

Stage II Ladder bar suspension kit

YEAH BABY
Old 07-15-2008, 10:59 PM
Pearlkobra12
2nd Gear Member

isnt everyone full of jokes tonight. whatever. night
Old 07-15-2008, 11:24 PM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

35 spline axles are huge, and you'll lose lots of power trying to turn the extra mass, heres a pic of my 33 spliners beside my old 28 spliners.
my buddy is building a tube chassis notch with a 550ci bigblock with an 871 blower running alcohol and he went with the 9 inch rear with 31 spline axles. good for 1200hp.

but if you're set on a 9 inch plan on spending at least 3-4grand.
4.30 gears are real fun on the street.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:55 AM
Pearlkobra12
2nd Gear Member

i realize the build is gonna cost three grand. but itll be three grand i wont ever have to worry about being broken or outgrown. this fall/winter the car is getting a cage and minitubs. this winter a windsor stroker is going in along with a c4. i want a rear i can grow into. ik that 35 spline axles are big. we have 40 spline in our drag car at home. do you guys think a.r.p.'s adjustable control arms are good? i want somethingi can adjust for preload and such.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:50 PM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Pearlkobra12
isnt everyone full of jokes tonight. whatever. night
man I went down your entire list
wth do you want man [8D]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ordering my 9" help me out with suspension