5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

installing a set of heads

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 06:18 PM
djsprinklesnjo
2nd Gear Member

Default installing a set of heads

this may sound like a stupid question, but just out of curiousity - is it possible to install a set of heads backwards. meaning, putting the driver side one on the passenger side and vice-a-versa. or are they exactly the same ?
i figured at least the spark plug would be angled in the wrong direction and possibly the exhaust and intake valves crisscrossed.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:49 PM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

Default RE: installing a set of heads

they are the same.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:09 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

stock e7 heads yes but valve orientation and spark plug angle would still be correct the only prob you'd have is the thermactor air injection ports would be at the front instead of the back......why the question?? what prob do you think you may have???
Old 07-15-2008, 10:04 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

Heads are the same but some have plugs that go in the front side of the heads so you can bolt on the accessory brackets, and that frees up the rear ports for the smog setup. Other than that the heads are the same...
Old 07-16-2008, 06:19 AM
djsprinklesnjo
2nd Gear Member

i have a cobra uper and lower intake and heads. my prob is this. the angle on the driver side for the spark plugs are straight, and on the pass side they are angled a little. so i have clearance issues with the driver side long tube headers im using. the first 2 plugs touch the headers and will eventually burn up the wires. my other issue is performance. the engine feels like it can be strong but just isnt. i thought maybe the heads backwards would rob power or have the intake and exhaust valves backwards.

heres what ive tried so far to fix the lack of power issue,

ive restabbed the distributor, put in a new set of spark plugs and wires, changed the tps sensor. oil change, new air filters, adjusted the fuel pressure (it was at 40lbs but ran very rich, so now its around 25lb) i have the blue injectors
i think thats about it so far that i can remember,

i have not did a compression check yet, or taken off the valve covers to see how it looks underneath. any other suggestions?
Old 07-16-2008, 08:45 AM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

what kind of heads are you running? are they both the same head? or is one gt40 and the other gt40p
Old 07-16-2008, 10:14 AM
djsprinklesnjo
2nd Gear Member

that is a great question. how do i tell the difference in the heads. btw this is all from the previous owner. i am cleaning up all the small stuff he did improper
Old 07-16-2008, 10:19 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

sounds like you have a p head and either an e7 or regular gt-40.......gt 40p will be stamped on the head and on the front of the head there is a 4 bar marking
Old 07-16-2008, 10:21 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

p-heads have straight plug orientation and gt-40's have regular angled
Old 07-16-2008, 11:01 AM
djsprinklesnjo
2nd Gear Member

ok i found the stamping gtp, which is the gt40p heads. ok so now whats the difference, which makes more power etc etc.
i did read in one place that the gtp heads have a different spark plug angle and require a special header. this is the quote i found on it,
"I believe all 5.0 V8 Explorers got the GT-40P heads. Which are different from the GT-40 head. The P head has the spark plugs coming out at a different angle, which requires special headers. FRPP sells the headers you would need.

Quick Reply: installing a set of heads