5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

please tell me my motors not smoked

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 11:55 PM
big ben
2nd Gear Member

Default please tell me my motors not smoked

ok my oil was in between add 1 quart and full and i was starting to hear what i thought was lifter tick so i figured id get some seafoam add it to the oil run it tonight to clean it out then change the oil tomarrow. i put the whole thing of seafoam in and it brought the oil just over the full line not crazy over just a little. i installed a msd cap and rotor and preceded to clean her out nothin crazy keepin the rpm's under 5.5k then i started to hear a real loud ticking noise maybe 4miles into the ride i looked down and i have no oil presurre! and its ticing real loud so i limped home and shut it down. what would cause this i boght the car about 250 miles ago and there was no motor noise and perfect oil pressure what would cause almost instant loss of pressure?
Old 07-21-2008, 11:57 PM
Jiffycake

Default RE: please tell me my motors not smoked

oil pump perhaps?
Old 07-22-2008, 12:01 AM
big ben
2nd Gear Member

they normally dont go all at once i had prefect pressure before the seafoam could overfilling pop a plug somwere or somthing like that
Old 07-22-2008, 12:08 AM
89stanger1989
2nd Gear Member

oil pump blew. mine blew a month ago and had all the problems you had. when you replace it i would suggest pulling the engine out as doing it under the car is a bitchhh.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:10 AM
Jiffycake

I don't know v8's well but when the oil pressure drops to zero that means the pump is gone. If it was just low it could be main or rod bearings. It could also be that the pickup screen is clogged. On rare occasion the the oil pressure relief valve could break but I doubt it. With all these scenarios there would most likely still be SOME oil pressure.

Drop the pan and check it out. I'm fairly confident its the pump but take my advice with a grain of salt, I have no experience with ford engines.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:42 AM
big ben
2nd Gear Member

i dont have the time to pull the motor how hard is it to drop the pan and do it in the driveway? if i pull the motor this will turn into a project and this car is supposed to stay in dailey driver form! i cant pull the motor out and the pan off without throughing the stage 1 cam in it but then i will need at least gt40 heads just to work with the cam and all that will really make my stock headers and mid pipe a restriction do you see were this is going[:@]
Old 07-22-2008, 01:00 AM
89stanger1989
2nd Gear Member

it can be fixed in a day if you get into it. remove h pipe, engine mounts, and driveshaft then pull the motor out remove the pan replace the pump and put everything back. or you can do it with the motor in the car but the space is very tight even after you jack the motor up. have a magnet with you.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:30 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: big ben

they normally dont go all at once i had prefect pressure before the seafoam could overfilling pop a plug somwere or somthing like that
wanna bet!! one day mine was fine in my 66 then pulled up to a stop and 0..pressure relief valve went in it...as for yours drain that water mixture out which it is by now with seafoam in it and reinstall a new filter and fresh oil and retest if it is a high milage motor the seafoam may have done more harm then good by flaking off the crude build up in motor and plugging up screen
Old 07-22-2008, 07:40 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

The first mistake you made was adding the entire can of Seafoam. The can clearly states to add 1/3 the contents.

then your second dumbass move was driving the car with the seafoam. You are supposed to let it sit at idle for a few minutes.

The third bonehead move on your part was continuing to drive the car with 0 oil pressure. Are you retarded?

I honestly hope you completely grenaded the motor. as it will teach you to friggin THINK next time!

Take your distributor out, and crank the oil pump driveshaft counter-clockwise with a drill. You should hear the drill bog down a bit. If it does not, your pump is gone!
Old 07-22-2008, 08:40 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: big ben

ok my oil was in between add 1 quart and full and i was starting to hear what i thought was lifter tick so i figured id get some seafoam add it to the oil run it tonight to clean it out then change the oil tomarrow. i put the whole thing of seafoam in and it brought the oil just over the full line not crazy over just a little. i installed a msd cap and rotor and preceded to clean her out nothin crazy keepin the rpm's under 5.5k then i started to hear a real loud ticking noise maybe 4miles into the ride i looked down and i have no oil presurre! and its ticing real loud so i limped home and shut it down. what would cause this i boght the car about 250 miles ago and there was no motor noise and perfect oil pressure what would cause almost instant loss of pressure?

drain the oil, and remove the filter. Install new oil and a new filter.

You clogged up your oil filter, and possibly your pickup tube and pump.

As far, as the pump gone, thatsa possiblity, as well as the shaft just may have snapped from the excessive resistance.

Quick Reply: please tell me my motors not smoked