5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Coolant dissapears, but doesn't seem to be leaking

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 11:41 AM
haromaster87
2nd Gear Member

Default Coolant dissapears, but doesn't seem to be leaking

Hey guys,

You may have read my Thread on replacing my lower radiator hose which I believed to be the culprit for my car losing coolant. Well, I finally got under there and found what I thought was a crack to be nothing, once I cleaned the hose off, it looked fine. I also noticed fluid coming from various spots above. Confused I topped the cars coolant resovoir off, and went out for a small drive around the block. Probly gone for 10 to 15min, if that. Car stayed right at 190 like it's supposed to. However once I arrived back home, the coolant had gone almost down to the bottom of the resovoir. I never noticed any leaking though or anything. So before I pressure check the system, is it possible that the car was just super low on coolant, and the bottle of coolant i've poured in there has just more gone into the system and not necessarily leaked out?[/align]
Old 07-25-2008, 11:47 AM
SteveSkal
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Coolant dissapears, but doesn't seem to be leaking

Of course its "possible". Don't you think you should run the test again before posting in here??? That would make a little more sense, but anyway, if you are still losing coolant at that rate and its not leaking you have a bad head gasket.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:02 PM
haromaster87
2nd Gear Member

I haven't ran the test. lol I don't have the the tool thing. I figure if I end up having a big problem like that i'll go rent the tool and check it out. I just wanted to run through all the small possibilities before anything.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:22 PM
FuzzyDiceRule
5th Gear Member

you probably just have an air pocket somewhere in the system...
Old 07-25-2008, 12:33 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

if it had an air pocket it'd restrict coolant flow and overheat..if that's not happening than that's not the case..what you need to do is let car cool down ..top coolant off and get a coolant pressure tester and pump the system up and look for leaks..it'll find leaks you probably didn't know you had.....
Old 07-25-2008, 05:42 PM
haromaster87
2nd Gear Member

Alright. The coolant in the radiator itself was low, soI topped the radiator off, and the res. Waitin for the rain to die down so I can go for a test drive.

On a side note, I checked the oil and the dipstick was at the low line, so I poured in 2quts and now it's just a hair above the max. Should I drain some or will it be okay? Btw I think the car burns a little oil anyway.[/align]
Old 07-25-2008, 07:51 PM
ewgoetz
3rd Gear Member

Usualy if it gets that low it's probably about that time to change it....
Old 07-25-2008, 07:59 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

could be a BHG...my coolant was disappearing for a while and couldnt figure it out. then my exhaust started steaming bad.. lol put ur hand over the exhaust pipe and see if ur hand is wet/moist.

it wasnt mixing with my oil either...
Old 07-25-2008, 09:29 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

I think I may have a blown gasket in mine now that I think about it. I slowly loose coolant to but I don't have the overflow can hooked up so I just thought that it was evaporating the water away and when it does get hot enough in the texas heat it spews out for a couple of seconds. Seems like I add more than I spill out.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:08 AM
haromaster87
2nd Gear Member

Damn, I hope it's not a blown head gasket. lol It seemed to hold coolant better now that I topped everything off, but overnight a small puddle developed under the car. I can't get under right now but whatever it is drips onto the front swaybar more towards the passenger side. The car sat still from 6pm yesterday to now, still hasn't moved. I checked until about 12am last night and never saw a puddle. So it happenned over night. Anyone know what flows over the swaybar?

Quick Reply: Coolant dissapears, but doesn't seem to be leaking