5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

need help please

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 04:27 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

Default RE: need help please

turn your timing down to 12°BTDC and thank me later
Old 07-27-2008, 08:25 AM
fordlover79
1st Gear Member

mjr i appoligised man i'm sorry and all i was saying earlier was that a week or so ago i was at the koeo tests and i'm way past that now so chill i wasn't trying to be stupid. by the way i done a base idle last night at work and it now runs like shiiiiiiiiit. i tried the 12 btdcand it didn't say anything but when i reset my tps i noticed the spring inside the iac was sprung so i will replace that. and actually it seems like it might just be the prob. but the top of my tb has i guess to be a mixture screw (it's not the idle screw) it's right infront of the iac what the hell is the settings for it i can't find instructions on it anywhere? all i know is my stocker was all the way in and shutoff?? any info is appreciated
Old 07-27-2008, 10:48 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

well next time don't get so impatient.....the hardest thing to do is diagnosis and fix a car over the internet..I often times wish I could reach through the screen and turn the wrenchs on the car ..but I can't I rely on your ability for accuracy....if I were working on it..gauranteed in a few hours prob could be solved but I have my own diagnostic strategy that yields good results time and time again...ANYWAY...HERE IS THE INFO ON WHAT THE GOLD SCREW YOU ASKED ABOUT IS FOR: FROM BBK'S WEBSITE: STEP 12 AND 13 ARE WHAT YOU WANTED TO KNOW IE SPEC FOR SETTING SCREW
Disconnect the negative battery terminal.
Step 2
Remove flexible inlet hose from throttle body (2 hose clamps).
Step 3
Disconnect any cables, etc. attached to the throttle linkage.
Step 4
Unplug the throttle position sensor and idle bypass valve.
Step 5
Remove 4 nuts securing throttle body to intake.
Step 6
Install stock throttle position sensor and idle bypass valve using factory hardware or new hardware, if supplied.
(Be sure to use supplied plastic bushing on the T.P.S.)
* For optimum performance, match the intake opening to
the new throttle body size. Although this is not necessary it will maximize intake flow.*
Step 7
Using supplied gaskets install new throttle body onto manifold and secure with factory nuts.
Step 8
Reattach all cables, etc. to new throttle linkage and plug in bypass valve and T.P.S. electrical connector.
Step 9
Reinstall flexible hose to throttle body and airbox.
Step 10
Reconnect the negative battery cable.
Step 11
Turn idle screw counter clockwise until you can see between the screw and the throttle linkage (if using feeler
gauge .010") then turn clockwise exactly one full turn.
Step 12
Be sure the idle valve adjustment screw (gold colored slot head) is turned clock wise until it bottoms in its bore.
(Do not use too much force when bottoming screw.)
Step 13
Start engine, if no idle can be achieved, turn gold idle valve screw counter clockwise in small increments,
restarting engine until desired idle rpm is achieved.
I N S T A L L A T I O N I N S T R U C T I O N S

w
Old 07-27-2008, 12:22 PM
fordlover79
1st Gear Member

i did that but the idle is diff every ****hair you turn it so i wanted to know what the actual settings were
Old 07-27-2008, 01:09 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

the small recessed screw that is near the IAC is a restrictor. it allows you to dial down the "Open IAC Idle" (which is when the IAC opens all the way up)

crank that sucker all the way down, start the car and let it warm up, then re-do the base idle relearn proceedure.

I just went and did it again on my car, and its running ALOT smoother now.

And I wasnt kidding about leaving your timing at 12°BTDC. Take a look at your balancer. see if the rubber looks cracked or is splitting... it may be time for a new one!
Old 07-27-2008, 01:39 PM
fordlover79
1st Gear Member

iac did it thanks for the 6 months of help it runs alot better now