5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Help, Fighting Heat

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 03:10 PM
derekkaiser

Default Help, Fighting Heat

Having some heat issues.
I live in semi-desert area's of Colorado and am having some problems keeping the engine cool. I switched to an electric fan a while back and it was seeming to be working well. I swapped out an AOD to a Tremec 500 and started having major heat issues. (granted this swap also kicked off summer, and I barely needed to use the fan when it was cold out) So here's my symptoms.

When I turn the fan on (or headlights) my stock temp gauge gradually climbs through the roof. We're talking 5-6 minutes and it's pegged. I'm hoping this is just a guage issue, because I can't imagine an electrical issue that actually heats the engine that much. Also, is it possible to get hotter when I turn the fan on?

On the other hand I am worried that I"m running hot. I'm having to add coolant weekly and recently blew a minor coolant line after 20 minutes of riding the car pretty hard. I can't find another leak and it occasionally smells hot.

I'm starting with this.... new 160 deg thermostat and adding a mechanical temp sensor.

Any ideas on where to go from there? Anyone seen anything like the gauge issue before? Where should I start to lower my engine temp? (thinking new radiator, the stock one is in there and has a lot of damaged fins)

Thanks!!!

93 GT Convert - Triple Black
5.0 Motorsport Crate Engine (B303, GT40X heads)
Tremec 500
Old 07-27-2008, 03:54 PM
redtxlx
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Help, Fighting Heat

check to make sure your fan is pulling air through the radiator and not pushing it. i had a friend that wired up his fan wrong and ended up adding more resistance to the air moving through the radiator because the fan was reversed.
Old 07-27-2008, 04:06 PM
derekkaiser

thanks. Thought of that one already, it's pulling through. And before anyone says head gasket... it's not.... I won't let it be. =)

If I had an air pocket in the system, how should I attack that?
Old 07-27-2008, 05:49 PM
90blackstang

My temp gauge goes up when I turn on my lights I don't understand that either
Old 07-27-2008, 05:56 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: derekkaiser

thanks. Thought of that one already, it's pulling through. And before anyone says head gasket... it's not.... I won't let it be. =)

If I had an air pocket in the system, how should I attack that?
Just because you don't want it to be doesn't mean it won't be[&:]...anyway first you need to verify it's running that hot and with the mech gauge you can do that and once you verify such is the case. and if you are still losing coolant it needs to be pressure tested to see if there is a leak externally..if none exist perform a block check that'll test for hydrocarbons in the coolant and confirm a blown head gasket if none exist make sure radiator cap is functional meaning it pops pressure of at 16lbs and you'll need a tester for that..after that confirm the radiaror ports are not all plugged up with calcium deposits and that the water pump is operational/ flows water
Old 07-27-2008, 07:24 PM
derekkaiser

thanks
Old 07-27-2008, 07:37 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

electrical problem.... you arent overheating
Old 07-27-2008, 08:23 PM
derekkaiser