5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Why does my car die?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 11:16 PM
creepshow
2nd Gear Member

Default Why does my car die?

My 90 LX dies once in a while. I will be driving and it will die and then all of a sudden it takes off. Like you turn the key off and then back on. Sometimes it does it as I stop. Then I throw it in neutral and it starts right up. Other times I try starting it and it just turns over. So when it done that I tried to see if it had spark at the plug but I couldn`t tell. I tried to see if it had a spark a second time and when my girlfriend went to turn it over it started. It doesn`t sput and spudder like it`s running out of gas, just dies like there is no spark. I had put new plugs, cap, rotor, and wires. Today I noticed the cap had corrosion on the connections already is that right? Also, the cap fits rather loselyso I put a little silicone around the edge to help seal it and keep it from flopping. Anyone have this problem or know what it could be?? It always starts up sooner or later a matter of minutes and seems to be getting worse, last couple days died 3 times.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:25 AM
90GTRagtop
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Why does my car die?

Does it only do this after the engine is warmed up? Sounds like something breaking down when it gets hot. Coils and TFI modules are known to do that (and sometimes magnetic pickups). Have you tried pulling the codes from the PCM? They may give you an idea of whats happening.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:38 AM
creepshow
2nd Gear Member

I`ve got no codes and I have had it happen a few blocks from my house hardly warmed up at all. It happened twice then I drove for an hour and never happened at all then maybe a week will go by then pow it happens again? I have noticed it happening more lately. I wish it would quit all together so I could find the problem. The coil is aftermarket Accel coil about 6 yrs. old or more.
Old 05-10-2005, 02:41 AM
P.S.I.cho
4th Gear Member

my guess its your TFI or magneto, umm check your MAF too, its got me stumped tho
Old 05-10-2005, 11:03 AM
hawkwitastang

I used to have a similar problem but I never had my car stop running on me. Occaisionally it wouldn't start the first try and then you could come back 10 minutes later and it would crank right up. I checked to see if the plugs were getting any spark and they weren't so I took the Ignition control module off to get it tested at auto zone and it turned out it was bad, put a new one in and haven't had any problems since. They're known to just up and die on you so it might be that its going bad. On my car its a little gray box on the driver side fender apron with two wire harnesses going into it.
Old 05-10-2005, 05:00 PM
creepshow
2nd Gear Member

Anyone know how to check codes on a 90? I noticed when it died today that the check engine light came on. There has to be a code now. What holes do you jump in the diagnostic and how do you read the flashes. A diagram would be great. Also, I checked for fire today and it seemed to not have any. I was told if the fuel pump quits the pc will shut down the spark so it still could be either one, is that true?
Old 05-10-2005, 06:43 PM
creepshow
2nd Gear Member

Ok, I checked the codes and got a 14. I was told that is the stator in the distributer. I will get one this weekend and see how it goes.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:13 PM
dc_mann8
5th Gear Member

i have the same problem.. so let me know how this goes
Old 05-10-2005, 09:23 PM
90GTRagtop
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, sounds like the magnetic pickup in the distributer. However, it could still be the TFI, had that to happen on a F-150 5.0L once. Also, be sure to check all the wiring connections. A loose connection can do that too.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:58 PM
creepshow
2nd Gear Member

I1m thinking of buying a new loaded distributer. I checked and a new one with everything but the cap and rotor is like $115 or $90 depending on steel or cast gear. I`m not sure wich one it takes but I`m sure I can figure that out when I pull the distributer.

Quick Reply: Why does my car die?