5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

powersteering pump delete

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 03:07 PM
stamper5.0
1st Gear Member

Default powersteering pump delete

i had a question and if u guys can help at all thats great. i have the a/c delete that puts the powersteering up top. well i want to delete the powersteering pump. does anyone kno what size belt? and do u have a pic of kno how it would re-route the belt? thanks guys jeff
Old 07-30-2008, 04:13 PM
ewgoetz
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: powersteering pump delete

Not sure what year you ahve but does this help?
http://www.cjponyparts.com/NewTech50Belts.aspx
Old 07-30-2008, 04:17 PM
stamper5.0
1st Gear Member

i have the belt with the a/c delete. but the only pulleys i would have is crank, alt, smog emilinator, water pump. so the a/c and the powersteering pump will be gone. thanks tho
Old 07-30-2008, 09:42 PM
uenvyboykin
2nd Gear Member

take a piece of string and run it through your pullies in th correct order they are suppose to be in.. measure that out, subtract a half an inch and that should be the size u need... just measure it out
Old 07-31-2008, 05:54 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Take off that smog eliminator. There is no reason to even have it there. you can take the pump out and not need anything else to compensate. Except the new belt.

But if you are just trying to bypass the P/S pump you will probably run into problems. First you still have the tensioner, I don't think it will reach and work correctly if you just skip the pump and to trying to drive a P/S setup without the pump working is no fun at all. You will want to swap your rack to a manual one.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:18 PM
stamper5.0
1st Gear Member

i plan on swapping the rack as soon as i get the money. my rack leaks bad. im trying to eliminate the leak w.o replaceing it. someone has told me that it will be alright for a while. but to get a manual soon. another question is....ifi eliminate the smog pulley. i can run a belt through the alt, crank, water pump and the tensioner? with no problems?
Old 07-31-2008, 01:34 PM
50Trippin
2nd Gear Member

i'd dump the smog eliminator. buy an adjustable alternator bracket setup and eliminate the factory belt tensioner, might need some sort of idler on the driver's side though. not sure if the belt would contact enough of the water pump pully going straight from the crank to the alternator.

you'll definitely want to get a manual rack if you get rid of the power steering pump. you'll bulk up real quick trying to drive that thing around, or just not want to drive it anymore.

http://www.jegs.com/i/March%20Perfor.../1465/10002/-1
Old 07-31-2008, 02:49 PM
OHNOA50

Most people eliminate the smog and a/c. However since you swapped the smog for power steering, then keep the smog eliminator and use the belt that you would use as if you eliminated the a/c and smog. See what I am saying? You swapped one thing for the other and it seems as though it shouldn't matter. I just pulled my smog pump, all the a/c, and switched to summit racing's manual rack and pinion set up which was only $300 compared to Flaming Rivers $500+ setup. Or you could just get the string like dude said earlier and measure the distances with that, mark it, and then take it to auto zone or something and they can order it which custom ordered would anything from $50+.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:06 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: OHNOA50

Most people eliminate the smog and a/c. However since you swapped the smog for power steering, then keep the smog eliminator and use the belt that you would use as if you eliminated the a/c and smog. See what I am saying? You swapped one thing for the other and it seems as though it shouldn't matter. I just pulled my smog pump, all the a/c, and switched to summit racing's manual rack and pinion set up which was only $300 compared to Flaming Rivers $500+ setup. Or you could just get the string like dude said earlier and measure the distances with that, mark it, and then take it to auto zone or something and they can order it which custom ordered would anything from $50+.

99% of the time.... a GOOD auto store will have the belt in stock.

Hell, Advance Auto had my 445k6 in stock!
Old 07-31-2008, 08:27 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

ORIGINAL: OHNOA50

When did he say that? It would matter because the accesories are not the same distance away so they belt length can/will be off. And like adder said one of the major part stores will have the right belt length in stock.

Quick Reply: powersteering pump delete