5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Car dieing, will not start back up please read for symptoms>>

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 09:16 AM
chads8950

Default Car dieing, will not start back up please read for symptoms>>

ok it's an 89' lx that was originally a 4 cyl car that has a swapped carbd HO 302 in it now. when i initially drove the car home the car started just fine considering it had no choke on it, it was about 25 miles to get back to my house and when i got the car home and shut it off it would not restart, so i thought well the car hadbeen sitting so the batt. is probably dead, so i went and got a new battery, and the car started right up no problem. after the new batt. i had to do a little work on the car so it was only started a few times in the garage and ran up and down the road a couple of times until yesterday when i drove the car about 17 miles shut the car off and when i came back out it wouldn't start. i jumped the car and it started right upbutonly stayed running for about a mile to my mom and dads house and then stopped again so my first thought was the alternator is bad and not charging the batt. well i took and had the alternator checked and it's good. So now i'm lost, something is draining the battery and i don't know what. if anyone has had a similiar issue any info you have would be greatly appreciated. sorry for so long but i wanted you guys to understand what was happening. thanks alot
Old 07-31-2008, 09:39 AM
92stangerang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Car dieing, will not start back up please read for symptoms>>

gotta be a bad connection somewhere. if it starts and then dies then like you said the alternator is not able to do its job. make sure your alt. wire is secure and all wires aren't burnt up. sometimes the battery wires will get corrosion built up inside back beyond to where you cant see it.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:47 AM
chads8950

it just has to plastic connectors and they both feel really tight?? i guess i will trace the alt. wires back and see if they are frayed broken etc. like i said after the new batt. the car started and ran fine until i drove it a decent distance (17 miles) and then it wouldn't restart, but i never did do the check where you take the negative terminal off the battery while it is running. if the alternator is doing what it is supposed to do the car will stay running right?? if not then it is a bad alt. could the test the they did on the alt. have been wrong and the alt. really is bad??
Old 07-31-2008, 09:53 AM
OHNOA50

I would also check the ground wire for your battery and there should be a ground wire running off of your block to the firewall. Just a suggestion. Also check your fuel filter, it could be dirty. One last thing, turn your key on or have someone else turn the key on and listen to see if the fuel pump is humming meaning it's turned on. Hope that it is something like that and not electrical connections because those take a whole lot of time to figure out.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:12 PM
chads8950

well i took the car to advance auto and they ran a check on the charging system, and the battery was fried. they said that they get that every now and then. the battery was only four days old, but the guy said that it was not the first time. thanks fellas
Old 07-31-2008, 05:40 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: chads8950

well i took the car to advance auto and they ran a check on the charging system, and the battery was fried. they said that they get that every now and then. the battery was only four days old, but the guy said that it was not the first time. thanks fellas
battery fried ehh???? well if the internal regulator is bad in the alt it'll overcharge and cook the battery dry of any and all electolyte[&:]...I wouldn't trust there diagnosis, personally I'd have a load test performed on the car with alt still on it and monitor voltage output as well as amperage under a load test