5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Starting issues.. Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 10:25 AM
87lxBlackWidow
1st Gear Member

Default Starting issues.. Please help.

Ok, I havent posted on here in a while and im in dier need of some input.

Ive been fighting and chasing this issue for about 2 months now and ive finally had it. For the life of me i cannot turn over my car with the key and have resorted to starting it by popping the hood and touching my starter wire to my + terminal to make the beast start.ive replaced the coil, starter, ignition switch and my starter cable. The problem im having is when its all hooked up and i go to start up my stang the starter stay's ingaged and just keeps cranking after it turns over. I occasionly can get a correct start to where it turns over my car and the starter dis-engages like it should. ide say about 98% of the time it fails and the starter stays ingaged. Im thinking i have a defaultive wire somewhere and i honestly dont know **** about wiring and i hate to say this but im hoping someone here has had the same issue im having and knows how to direct me in the right direction to resolve this problem. so please help me out and any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

current mods: e303 cam, 1.6 rr, rpm2 upper and lower, bbk shorties, 70mm mass air sen., 70mm tb and egr, smog & a/c delete, dropped 2' all around, 24#'ers, advanced timing...
Old 08-04-2008, 10:28 AM
15austin
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Starting issues.. Please help.

I had that problem once, it is the Starter Relay right next to the coil.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:47 PM
87lxBlackWidow
1st Gear Member

ok i looked into that relay a little and im finding its location on the passanger side infront of the strut... could that be it? isnt the solinoid next to the coil?
Old 08-04-2008, 03:52 PM
f0rdlx

chk and replace the ground wire that goes from the coil to the altinator you need a good groung also if the battery is low u wolnt have a good conection ,the celonide frerzes and it keeps cranking carefut or youl reck the fly wheel and there 4 to $500
Old 08-04-2008, 04:44 PM
87lxBlackWidow
1st Gear Member

thanks fordlx, ive had that wiring replaced already and its fine... i checked but didnt replace cause its fine.... i think if i had a bad connection from my alt to my coil i wouldnt be getting any power there. my problem i think is what 15austin said, my starter relay. cause my problem isnt that im not getting power its that my starter is staying engaged after the motor turns over.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:17 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

the starter relay IS the solenoid. some people call it different things.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:17 PM
87lxBlackWidow
1st Gear Member

well then.... so now what? ive replaced about everything that has to do with starting my car from the idnition switch to the starter itself... anyone else have any ideas???
Old 08-04-2008, 06:19 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

have you replaced the solenoid? thats the only reason the starter would stick on, unless the switch in the column was bad.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:24 PM
87lxBlackWidow
1st Gear Member

yes, several times.. both mexican and chines have gone out along with 1 used and 1 brand new ignition switch... still the same problem, the first few times i start my car its normal then then it seems like when im in a hurry to go somewhere when i think the problem is fixed the starter stays ingauged.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:26 PM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

last option would be the key tumbler.
is your ignition key switch kinda loose feeling?

Quick Reply: Starting issues.. Please help.