5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Increase TORQUE in generally stock 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 02:47 PM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

Default Increase TORQUE in generally stock 5.0

5.0/302 H.O. getting redone, how can one increase torque numbers above factory? The guys idea is to gear it max for freeway (2.73 gears unless better ratio found, and with .62 OD) in his trans he wants plenty of torque to push the car on the highway as mostly long highway interstate driving will be done.

I thought it would be no problem but he also wants bigger taller heavier wheels and tires for their looks,
Old 08-05-2008, 02:52 PM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Increase TORQUE in generally stock 5.0

His engine is apart so now is the time for any mods (I suggested a stroker that would increase torque for sure but thats voted down)

Are these the Wrong things to do:
-Intake spacer
-cold air intake and larger MAF

Are these more the right direction?
-factory or cobra or gt40 intakes only
-camshaft with less overlap
-camshaft with less duration than factory,
-underdrive pullys

Would these help or hurt or no effect?
-very light AL flywheel OR heavier than stock FW
-equal length headers
-larger fuel pump/adjustible regulator
-aftermarket ignition module/box
Old 08-05-2008, 04:49 PM
nseoi
4th Gear Member

you need to provide a budget, too many possibilities.

if its a low budget i would do a mild HCI and leave everything else stock. that will give it a little pep and wont take him to the poohouse

BUDGET PLEASE!
Old 08-05-2008, 09:10 PM
AquaFox

you should definitely start off with some longtube headers, get relatively small pipes to help with velocity, you will get that crisp torquey feel u want. the only real con to longtubes is they are a pain to put in, i've had friends with mildly beat in floorboards and ground bellhousings just to get those longtubes in
Old 08-05-2008, 09:16 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

tell him to use a cam with 4x4 specs/ rv/towing cam..the fuel pressure reg and pump won't do him much good unless power output of motor is where is need it...same with msd box....if he voted down the stroker for added torque maybe build a long rod 302 and scratch the lightflywheel..he'll want the rotational mass of stock flywheel
Old 08-05-2008, 10:58 PM
Tberg725
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AquaFox

you should definitely start off with some longtube headers, get relatively small pipes to help with velocity, you will get that crisp torquey feel u want. the only real con to longtubes is they are a pain to put in, i've had friends with mildly beat in floorboards and ground bellhousings just to get those longtubes in
Lol, to install LT's you don't have to beat in the floorboards or grind the bellhousing just buy the right set.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:24 AM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mjr46
tell him to use a cam with 4x4 specs/ rv/towing cam..the fuel pressure reg and pump won't do him much good unless power output of motor is where is need it...same with msd box....if he voted down the stroker for added torque maybe build a long rod 302 and scratch the lightflywheel..he'll want the rotational mass of stock flywheel
Thanks for the ideas all, mjr cam choice makes sense to me, I was actually thinking that its shorter (rel) rods that produced torque better(?) and found this crazy article with Far Too Much Information that therefore I should post here! [&:]

http://www.stahlheaders.com/Lit_Rod%20Length.htm

here is a snippit re torque:

...most efficient mechanical use of the cylinder pressure would occur when the crank and the connecting rod are at right angles. Changing the connecting rod length relative to the stroke changes the time in crank angle degrees necessary to reach the right angle condition. A short connecting rod achieves this right angle condition sooner than a long rod. Therefore from a "time" perspective, a short rod would always be the choice for maximum torque. The shorter rod achieves the right angle position sooner and it does so with the piston slightly farther up in the bore. This means that the cyl pressure (or force on the piston) in the cylinder is slightly higher in the short rod engine compared to the long rod engine (relative to time).

here is a snippit re hp:

Intake Stroke Short rod spends less time near TDC and will suck harder on the cyl head from 10-o ATDC to 90-o ATDC the early part of the stroke, but will not suck as hard from 90-o to BDC as a long rod. Will require a better cyl head than long rod to produce same peak HP.

What do you guys think
Old 08-06-2008, 11:29 AM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nseoi
BUDGET PLEASE!
as little as possible, perhaps as much as $2k for engine parts if good outcome (not including gasket set, rings bearings RTV)
stock heads e7Te already freshened up
what he really wants is to max torque with all the little tricks that can be found and combined together
Old 08-06-2008, 02:59 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

actually what would work better than a long rod 302 if he can find one in decent condition is a 289 rotating assembley....which are longer rods than a 302 and shorter throw on the crank.. that'd help in a little
Old 08-06-2008, 06:05 PM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

yes.
Im doing similar to that but my budget is more... a bit more anyway
Im going brand new NOS Gt40P && my 1967 fastback's 289 crank, rods but keeping the 1989 pistons, I already have that+flywheel balanced and the block prepped & waiting for me to find some $$
other differences are Im going 3.27 rear gears

we'll see whos car DD best and also who gets more MPG

Quick Reply: Increase TORQUE in generally stock 5.0