5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

ebay turbo kit ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 08:07 PM
lsxoo7

Default ebay turbo kit ???

ok ... im just wondering if anyone has had anysuccess with these ebay turbo kits

kitshttp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-Truck-Parts-Accessories__79-93-Ford-Mustang-5-0L-V8-Twin-Dual-Turbo-Kit-Manifold_W0QQitemZ330259295054QQadnZCarQ20Q26Q20Tr uckQ20PartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQadiZ2865QQcmdZVie wItem?hash=item330259295054&_trkparms=39%3A1%7 C65%3A3&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245.l1318

i have a lot of honda buddys running all the ebay turbo crap and im surpriced for how well everything is put together and runs ...

im sure it will take some customizing to make it kit and work well but thats not a problem ..for 800 this is dirt cheap .. this is going in my low $ sleeper car .. a 88 turbo 2 rx7 with a 90 302 5.0 enigine ... after buying both cars i basically put it all together for free .. so this will be the only money invested out of my pocket for now ..

what kind of power can u see witha completely stock engine and about 8lbs of boost ? im aiming for about 450-500 .. either on fi or the bottle .. so i think this turbo might get me there ... there is always the option of just using this as a starter kit and upgrading turbos after wards so its not too much of a issue ..

anyone else have one of these kits instaled and running ? im sure some people have t5o have them because they get sold often .. pics would be great aS well as comments and toughts about the kits , thanks .
Old 08-06-2008, 08:16 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

Default RE: ebay turbo kit ???

never buy ebay turbo kits unless they are from a name brand company that is selling them on ebay. we had a kid on here get scammed real bad about a year ago
Old 08-06-2008, 08:20 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ebay turbo kit are often junk
Old 08-06-2008, 09:51 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

You get what you pay for kid. There are reasons good turbo kits go for as much as $5,000+, they have enough R&D behind them too get you what you want. If you do buy this kit it's probably only good for the piping, that is if it's complete. Which if you do that you can always find someone on here selling some decent used turbos for ~$1,000 or so. I'd recommend if you want to save money from buying a new brand name, buy a used one. Good condiotion complete kit like HP or Hellion goes for<BR> ~$2,500-$3,000.

From experience now let me tell you a story. About 5 years ago, a little while after I bought my WRX there was a company called Momentum turbos. They offered a turbo that was comparable to the VF34 and VF22(very popular in the WRX community then), and they offered this turbo for around $700. Great deal compared to IHI selling there VF34 for $1,400. On top of that they had a warranty, people across the forums that were buying these things had nothing but good things to say. I bought one thinking what the heel, it's bolt on and it'll give me a few more horses over the stock turbo. I get it in and bolt it up. After broken in this thing screams, it knocks any bolt on upgrade turbo out of the water. No more than a month later does it start burning oil. WTF, I send it back and get a new for free, I was impressed that they lived up to their word. A few weeks later the new one does the same thing, this time though something else has gone wrong. A piece of the compressor impeller broke off and got sucked into the head and ended up traveling down into the cylinder. Long story short my WRX with less than 20,000 miles has a piston with a whole in it. Now I'm mad, I try contacting the company I can't reach them. I research a little online and find out I'm not the only one with this problem. Within 3-4 months from when this company started they are forced to shut down because many people are sending their turbos back for the same problems and they have to keep sending out new ones. Now this guy who started this company was man enough to stand by his warranty and replace everything for free. But at what cost, he was only replacing turbos, how many people went through what I went through and had to replece an engine. He wasn't a bad guy, it's just that he was manufacturing cheap knock offs that had horrible shaft and bearing tolerances. Their was so much vibration that the oil rings couldn't stand it and the were burning up causing more vibration and impeller blades shattering against the housings.

From then on, I bought reputable brand name. I was more than happy to pay $5,500 for a Turbonetics turbo and custom turbo kit if it meant that I would never have to worry about faulty parts again. These companies have been in the business along time and they know the mechanics of turbos better than anyone else. There's a lot of physics that goes with a single turbocharger that most people fail to realize.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:22 AM
lsxoo7

i do agre .. i spend 4800$ for a single turbo kit for my fd rx7 when it was rotary .. i knw what u mean about brand name parts ..

i figured it would be a good place to start.. by carefully planing everything out this car is being built for free with only my own work and time ..

i might just pick up a good condition used supercharger .but i would like to have a turbo v8 in the rx7 .. im not trying to go crazy in mods just yet as this is my 2nd project im working on at the same time .. trying to build it on the cheap ...

but i am leaning a little towards a supercharger with a cooler ..

how much could i find these for in used condition ? how much boost can a stock block handle with maybe heads cam and manifold as well as long tubes >? the fuel will also be upgraded along with everything else ...

but what the hell if that all fails ill buy everything second hand and just jun a bottle on it ..

any advice if i chose to go supercharger ?
Old 08-08-2008, 03:10 PM
ruger311
4th Gear Member

ebay twins are $hit dont buy them, do it right the first time not the second