5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

supercharger or turbo charger?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 07:48 PM
blkstng95
1st Gear Member

Default supercharger or turbo charger?

ok i have a 95 cobra and im gonna add a steeda 19 cam but i want to add something else like a superchager or turbo charger? which would be better?
Old 08-08-2008, 07:52 PM
USMC1775
4th Gear Member

Default RE: supercharger or turbo charger?

Depends on your goals and driving habits. Turbos make more power pound for pound of boost, but sometimes lag in the lower rpms. SCs are tried and true, used in professional dragracing. Turbo you have to change out your exhaust system and it adds a lot of under hood temp. Ive got a 95 GT Im building a new engine for with GT40 heads and a Steeda 19, Im going with a S/C when my birthday comes around
Old 08-08-2008, 07:55 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

This question has been asked by hundreds and I'm sure there are just as many threads about it. Just do a search, although you will never find an answer to which is better because they both have their ups and downs and people to support on bith sides.

My pick, turbo. I've worked with turbos for years and IMO would consider myslef an expert on them. I install, fab, and rebuild them for a number of different applications and just overall like the feel of a turbo over a SC.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:59 PM
blkstng95
1st Gear Member

ive got gt40 heads on mine and a flowmastr 40 series exhaust system, i think the super charger sounds a little better than the turbo, thanks
Old 08-08-2008, 08:02 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: USMC1775

Depends on your goals and driving habits. Turbos make more power pound for pound of boost, but sometimes lag in the lower rpms. SCs are tried and true, used in professional dragracing. Turbo you have to change out your exhaust system and it adds a lot of under hood temp. Ive got a 95 GT Im building a new engine for with GT40 heads and a Steeda 19, Im going with a S/C when my birthday comes around
You see, you can't really use that statement to show what's better. Turbos are outlawed from Top Fuel and Funny car because it poses too much of a danger. If you look at the top classes of NMRA or NMCA like SSO or OL 10.5 you will find that the fastest cars use turbos. For years the champions have had turbo cars in a class where you could use either. So you can say that turbos are also tried and true. And what kind of underhood temp??? It's called a heat shield, with a supercharger you creat parasitic drag.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:45 PM
USMC1775
4th Gear Member

I thought I deleted that part... my bad, I realized after I wrote it down that Ive seen more turbo'd cars at the drags now than S/Cs when watching the private and weekend warriors.

Like you said, its a 2 sided battle, and Im for S/C.

Although I wouldnt deny a turbo

Old 08-08-2008, 09:02 PM
Kent535

Well Im Going With A kenny Bell With A Bassani Exhaust System
Pics And Videos Up Soon So Be Ready =]
Old 08-08-2008, 09:33 PM
USMC1775
4th Gear Member

Bold. Good luck
Old 08-08-2008, 10:26 PM
Hung Like a Stang
4th Gear Member

Turbo FTW...even though its a little more work.

An internal combustion engine is only about 33% effiecient, meaning 33% of a/f is used to make power, 33% is lost in heat and 33% lost in the exhaust. With a turbo you are using a portion of that heat and exhaust you would otherwise be wasting to make more effecient power for your vehicle.

Unlike a supercharger which has a parasitic draw on the engine to turn the compressor, still pushing more air into the cylinder to yeild more power, but, not as efficiently.

You can have very efficient power across the board with turbos if you size it properly, usually a twin set up will aid in this than one large turbo. However, turbo lag can be experienced with larger compressor wheels.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:40 PM
JPJP
1st Gear Member

My 2 cents:

Get an older Paxton (sn). It is much less involved and very reliable. No tapping into the oil pan either (self contained fluid). I've got one on my '86. It also builds boost faster than other centri. blowers and builds boost much faster than a turbo.

Having a lot of fun with the car I am getting over 19mpg. I may hit over 20mpg (combined) if I can stay off the throttle some (but who wants to do that?) and drive home on the expressway more.

With a turbo you will probably have to add an intercooler and all. With the higher boost from the turbo you will loose reliability (blown head gaskets and all). From what I can tell the turbo will get you more hp, but for the same amount of money you can do other things to the supercharger or engine and easily have better hp.......of course this is an opinion from a guy on a budget.

Quick Reply: supercharger or turbo charger?