5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

ud pullies and engine heat

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 09:52 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

I have March UD pullies, and I noticed a difference with them. No heating or charging issues, and that's in Bakersfield where this time of year the temp is routinely over 100F during the afternoon. With a 180* stat the engine never gets over about 185-190 whether sitting in traffic or pulling up 58 going into the mountains.

Overheating is an inadequate cooling system. Either the fan is poor, you have no shroud or it's not properly set, or your radiator is clogged or just too small. The pullies may have simply caused you to notice the problem when in traffic, or the pullies could have nothing to do with it and it's coincidental.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:11 AM
crocop
2nd Gear Member

so do you mean that i dont have the power and amp set, thats what i ordered and it also says that on the box. i noticed a difference with the pullies, my car pulls harder with them, my only problem is that dam engine temp. i know that the pulley will slow down the water pump but with the difference in size of the 2 pullies and the increase in the engine temp. i think its more of a colling system problem.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:22 AM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

there are a very few out there that dont have problems with them but the majority have problems unless you have upgraded to the 3g alt and a better cooling system. other than that most people have problems with them and you see maybe 2hp at the wheels with them and to me thats not worth the trouble
Old 12-07-2008, 09:31 PM
crocop
2nd Gear Member

hey guys sorry to bring this tread back but i wanted to ask something about the pullies.

about the charging issue, will this 130 PA alt. be ok with the under drive pully on it? is there a better way to go.

i know someone that has a volve 780(i think thats the car name) and he has a 3 core rad, he says its a bit thicker, will a bigger rad help me with cooling, also if i got an electric fan will the 130 amp with the underdrive pulley be able to support it?
Old 12-07-2008, 09:39 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ALMOST STOCK
Let me see... um 8 yrs with the March Power and Amp UD pulleys, and once in 8 yrs stuck in stop and go traffic (mostly stop where I set with the A/C on for for over an hour) I watched my temp needle move from below half way to about 3/4 of the way up the temp gauge.

I've never had a charging issue or cooling issuse with the March Power and Amp UD and I'm still using the ORIGINAL ALT and RADIATOR that came in the car from 89.

So once more if you would ..... tell me how the March Power and Amp UD pulleys don't work.

I'm just going to take a stab here...... but I'll bet none of you have the March Power and Amp UD pulleys , except for the OP and myself at this point in this post?

my car came with UDPS, unknown brand... but they are aluminum.... no cooling problems, but my amps do fall low when lights, heater and radio are on and the car is at idle, but nothing has shut off.... becuase of them...
Old 12-07-2008, 10:38 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

With power pullies you'll prolly see some charge issues at idle under electrical load. My voltage runs at 14.8 and only drops under 14 when it's at idle with accessories running such as lights and/or the heater. It still stays around 12.5-13 volts, but I'm running a 140A alternator.

You need a good cooling system though with the proper fan. A slower turning water pump is actually better. It gives the coolant more time to absorb heat from the engine while in the cooling jackets, and more time to dissipate it into the radiator. That's why electric pumps run at lower static speeds. Fords are notorious for having inadequate cooling systems.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:05 PM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

I have the 3g and good electric fan/shroud and var controller
x2 on not using the 160^ tstat
I had issues with the engine getting HOT when all (3) UD pulleys on, I have the gano filter at first it caught junk then stayed clean - this before UD pulleys install... so I was running HOT it did not matter if sunny out or not.. this in SoCal btw, when I re-installed the stock larger water pump pulley it helped & the car would act as before the UD as far as heat.

The charging issue from UD crank + UD alt remained... even though yes brand new 3g with 0 AWG cable.. as soon as I put the stock crank pulley back on the charge indicator guage acted as before UD

yes this is looking at factory ford guages not super accurate but YES good for comparisions! ALSO the radiator would puke each day a quanity more with UD than without (I had disconnected the puke tank to test this as well as to clean out top scum on cooling liquid)
ALSO I could hear the 190 lph walbro fuel pump was not struggling at idle anymore... the tone would not drop when at a light W/O the UD

I must mention that I have a recent new ford repalcment water pump , and left a slightly larger pulley left on the alt so I had pulleys:
-larger alt (slows it)
-larger w/p (slows it)
-smaller crank (slows the whole system)

try using just the crank slow down pulley and make sure you have a good w/pump the edlebrock are supposed to be quite good
Old 12-07-2008, 11:17 PM
FORD TOUGH
4th Gear Member

Putting a bigger alternator on defeats the purpose of having under drive pulleys. The bigger alternator is going to turn harder so why not put the old pulleys back on and your car will charge fine and stay cool instead of getting a bigger alternator and radiator.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:50 AM
Portmaster
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by crocop
i installed a march performance UD pulley set on my stang (power and amp set) ive been running it for a couple of days and ive noticed my engine temp has rised alot. the temperature used to be in the middle of the gauge and now itsspends most if its time about a bar away from the red line. i also have a 180 degree t-stat. how do i get the temp back to normal because its scares me to drive this thing around now. there are times were the temp will jump up to the redline then fall back to the middle, i keep thinking my block is going to crack.
Bottom line is you installed an underdrive pulley set on a car that already had a marginal cooling system. It's getting some age on it and chances are wouldn't have been long before it had overheating problems anyway. You just enhanced an upcoming problem. Before you throw underdrive pulleys on anything you need to make sure it has a good radiator, water pump and alternator.

On a personal note I run underdrive pulleys on everything. I just make sure everything else is up to the task.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:34 AM
crocop
2nd Gear Member

ok that fine, i have no problems with making upgrades. basically what im going to do is go to the junkyard and find a 2 core rad, something of good size, an electric fan,and by a alternator.

for the alternator what amperage should i get theres a 130 and a 200 and late model resto. i have a clarion cd player with 4 clarion speakers in the car, so with the elctric fan and the uder drive pulley on the alternator which one should i get?

Quick Reply: ud pullies and engine heat