MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   MY OVERFLOW DON'T WORK NEED HELP! (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/47552-my-overflow-dont-work-need-help.html)

grabbem88 05-13-2005 05:35 PM

MY OVERFLOW DON'T WORK NEED HELP!

i took an overflow out of a grandmarqe,since my old one had a crack in it.
isn't the overflow suppose to recycle back into the radiator?? i have a high volume water pump,3 core radiator new hoses,ect...hoses arn't collapsed or anything.just wondering
if there is a cure for this.???

Pure5.0 05-13-2005 06:42 PM

RE: MY OVERFLOW DON'T WORK NEED HELP!

It's strickly that...an overflow.

Since metal expands when heated the radiator and the motor expands causing the holes and lines inside to shrink only marginally. These holes and lines have coolant in them. The coolant also increases in size when heated, but only marginally again.

Because of this pressure is built up in your coolant lines and it needs to go somewhere or it will break your hoses...so it fills the overflow...that is all it is for.

Sometimes there is a vacuum effect too, and if the car is designed that way, the coolant in the overflow will go back in...but I don't think the mustang has that. I think there is just one hose on the top...to fill the tank...not send it back in.

grabbem88 05-13-2005 06:45 PM

your right.only one hose....so will those summit or morroso overflows work any better?

grabbem88 05-13-2005 06:47 PM

by the way thanks for the reply....maybe i need two fan's? a puller,and a sucker? do headers that are very hot (l/t's) effect temps?

Pure5.0 05-13-2005 06:56 PM

If there is two hoses it might be ok. I can't remember but if the one hose on the mustang is at the bottom then the radiator when cooling will pull the coolant from the overflow back into the car so no need for a new overflow tank is needed. If the hose is at the top then there is no way for the coolant to go back into the radiator.

If your headers are hot then it will affect temp. Reason is because the headers are attached to the block therefore allowing transfer of heat. But how much transfer I don't know. I think that the headers warming up the air in the engine bay would affect performance more than the heat transfer of metal to metal...that is why they have that ceramic wrap for exhaust.

Derf00 05-13-2005 06:59 PM

ORIGINAL: grabbem88

isn't the overflow suppose to recycle back into the radiator?? i have a high volume water pump,3 core radiator new hoses,ect...hoses arn't collapsed or anything.just wondering
an easy way to see if your overflow is working properly is drain a little bit of fluid out of the radiator when the engine is cold. Then run the car. The missing coolant should be replaced by some from the overflow bottle. If not, the radiator cap might not be working properly to provide the clearance needed for the fluid to travel through the hole in the neck of your radiator.

grabbem88 05-13-2005 07:01 PM

wrap or coating? i thought about wrapping them hell they are already rusty looking.[:'(]

grabbem88 05-13-2005 07:02 PM

oh it fills up just don't return the way i thought it would??[&:]

ORIGINAL: Derf00

an easy way to see if your overflow is working properly is drain a little bit of fluid out of the radiator when the engine is cold. Then run the car. The missing coolant should be replaced by some from the overflow bottle. If not, the radiator cap might not be working properly to provide the clearance needed for the fluid to travel through the hole in the neck of your radiator.

Derf00 05-13-2005 07:18 PM

oh it fills up just don't return the way i thought it would??[&:]

ORIGINAL: Derf00

I just reread your original post...I think I misunderstood you. You mean you thought it was supposed to flow through the overflow? If so, you would need 2 hoses as pointed out by Pure 5.0 I know you know that..

grabbem88 05-13-2005 07:22 PM

i thought so....so the older mustangs didn't have this? well that sucked!