5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

clutch install

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 04:35 PM
5.0sTheWayToGo
2nd Gear Member

Default clutch install

i have a 94 gt. im just wondering how much are you guys paying or should i expect to pay to have a king cobra put in my 94 gt. Thanks.
Old 05-14-2005, 05:49 PM
P.S.I.cho
4th Gear Member

Default RE: clutch install

easiar to do it yourself, its really not that hard but a shop will charge u quite a bit i would assume
Old 05-14-2005, 07:26 PM
badexample

You could do it in a weekend relatively easily. Its definately not worth what a shop would charge ($300+). I did mine in 3 hours last time but Ive had my tranny out a million times. It probably took me bout 6 hrs. the first time. Just make sure you have everything you need before you start. Clutch alignment tool, pilot bearing, etc. It will save lots of time vs. running to the parts store everytime you need something.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:09 PM
5.0sTheWayToGo
2nd Gear Member

so did you guys just put your car up on jack stands and pull the tranny away from the motor? people say you have to pull the tranny and need a lift. But obviously you dont need a lift if you guys did it in a weekend. unless your lucky and have a lift. but when they say pull the tranny do they just mean unbolt it from the engine and pull it back? im 17 years old and my dad could help me do it if its do able. thanks for the help and saving me money.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:33 PM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

you have to take your tranny out.
when you do the clutch it is a good idea to replace your rear seal too, just for insurance.
you dont want it to blow right after you put everything back together.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:39 PM
5.0sTheWayToGo
2nd Gear Member

When you say the rear seal are you talking about some type of gasket that goes between the motor and the tranny? im not familiar with clutches or any of that and have never seen one done.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:55 PM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

no, the rear seal is a round piece of rubber about 1/4 inch thick and about 3 inches across
when you take off the flywheel (the thing the clutch bolts onto.) to get it resurfaced, under it you will see the crank and between the crank and block there is the rear seal.
it is pretty easy to get out, just be careful you dont nick the crank or it might leak.
Old 05-15-2005, 06:15 PM
sc94gt
3rd Gear Member

Since you will be taking out the transmission, not a bad idea to change the transmission fluid over to synthetic. I put Amzoil ATF in mine. I can even hear the gears whine more now in the transmission (sounds kinda cool when you wind up the car). I believe it was about 2.7 quarts or maybe less ( just buy 3 quarts and fill it till it starts to come out the top fill hole).

Get that car up as high as possible. If you can sit up under it, that's perfect. I put mine up 4 cinder blocks high.

Also, you can get a bearing puller from Autozone (MUST have for the pilot bearing/bushing).
It's basically a sliding weight on a rod that let's you yank out the old pilot bearing.
I could have returned it for my money back too, but I kept it cause it such a good tool.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:59 PM
punishercb
1st Gear Member

I have a quick question, I'm looking at a 1995 gt 5.0 and the clutch might be bad. What exactly would I need? If it's just a worn clutch, can I reuse the throwout bearing and all that? If not, what will I need exactly? This would be my first time doing anything this serious. I'm pretty sure I can handle this job I was just looking for some help.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:50 PM
punishercb
1st Gear Member

Anybody??[sm=hiya.gif]

Quick Reply: clutch install